RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

CineRAID CR-H458 Box 4 Drive Hot Swap

joem

I worry about 2 things with external enclosures: cooling and vibration. Depending on where the enclosure will be located, noise can be a 3rd factor.

Those are the things I would check with this enclosure.

As an example, I have 2 Lian-Li EX-503 enclosures that have proven to have fantastic cooling. They are also very quiet. I wish they had a little better vibration dampening, but it's not bad.

Just to throw this out there. Google doubts cooling is an issue. I don't mean to open a can of worms. :P

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/google-hard-drives,4347.html

A friend of mine works at the google server farm in The Dalles, Oregon and he confirms this. He said they just throw the cheapest hard drives they can find into these servers. No extra cooling. Some of these servers you can fry up an egg!

Of course you can't run them at the temperature of the sun.

Just so you know, I have zero faith in the google report. I believe the google report can be valid in a huge server/storage farm, but it has absolutely no applicability to a typical home installation. My personal feeling is that most of google's issues are due to vibration, and the vibration overrides the drive heat issues. Typical large drive arrays have many, many drives in them and the combined vibrations lead to all kinds of harmful harmonics.

I don't have a huge report to back me up; just my 40+ years of experience with hard drives in enterprise and home setups. You do what you know, right? :)

You can sacrifice a little on the drives when the data center is probably being cooled to around 60 degrees.