RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Installing and Booting from a 2.5 SSD in new N54L

Zimmer

Good afternoon Everyone,

I just upgraded from my Mediasmart EX470 to the N54L. I installed Windows Server 2012 Essentials. No problem. What's really gotten my interest is trying to use a SSD drive in the ODD bay as my system drive so the rest of my 4 drives are for data only. I plugged in a regular 3.5 Sata drive to test it out but It didn't look like it saw the drive. I know that the system is new but I've been searching the web to see if there is a mod that I need to get this done but there is really no reference to the N54L yet. Do I really need a mod for it to recognize the drive? Is there a simple BOIS adjustment I can do to get this to work?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• diehard

• jmwills

• ikon

• Zimmer

Top Posters In This Topic

How did you connect the drive to the MOBO? There are two possible ways. eSata to Sata from the rear connector or the onboard connector close to the CMOS battery.

How did you connect the drive to the MOBO? There are two possible ways. eSata to Sata from the rear connector or the onboard connector close to the CMOS battery.

The connector close to the CMOS battery. I had a dvd drive there first. That's how I loaded the OS.

Check your boot order in the BIOS. One thing we have found out is this model is sneaky about changing the boot order.

The SSD would be first if that is where your OS is.

Well my OS isn't on it yet but let me see if I got this right. I would set the order to CD/DVD first since the SSD drive would be pugged into the port that the DVD drive would have been or am I totally wrong?

Thanks for you patience with me.

You confused me with this: I plugged in a regular 3.5 Sata drive to test it out but It didn't look like it saw the drive. To test what out?

Well when I took the DVD drive off and plugged the 3.5 drive in, I was hoping that I would see the drive in disk management but it didn't show up. Might be related to my boot order? I don't know.

Well when I took the DVD drive off and plugged the 3.5 drive in, I was hoping thatle I would see the drive in disk management but it didn't show up. Might be related to my boot order? I don't know.

This problem has nothing to do with boot order. If you are booting the system, and it's not seeing an attached drive in Disk Manager after WHS is up, then there is either an issue with the drive or with its connections to the system (cables not connected properly could be one).