RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

how do you replace the primary data drive in whs2011

capall

Hi all,

I initially set up my HP microserver by installing whs2011 on the stock 250Gb drive, and then installed a green 2Tb drive as the data drive. I set up a couple accounts for laptops, setup and initiated their backups, and also set up and initiated a server backup to a usb drive. However, I have now bought a WD red drive and would like to remove my green drive, format it and repurpose it as a backup drive and then set up my server witn the red drive instead. Do I need to re-install whs2011 or can i just format the green drive, remove it, and then insert my red drive and just start over with the user accounts/client backups etc?

My concern is that if I simply just format the green drive and remove it, that there will be some settings left in the OS that will expect it to be present and will conflict with the new setup settings of the red drive.

Thanks

capall

What is actually on the Green Drive? Which folders? If nothing but data, you can tell the server to "move" those folders to the new drive. Now, this will require both drives in the server. The backups should not matter as part of this exercise.

I intially expected to use the green drive as my primary data drive and for client backups, but then the reds came out, and as I am still in the setup phase of my server I've decided to use a red drive instead. I moved the server folders (music/pictures/documents..) using the move folder wizard from the OS partition drive D to the green drive and then added various bits of data and initiated client backups. There's nothing on the green drive that i want, all my data is on laptops, and as I am essentially going to start my server setup afreash with the new red drive, I will just copy the laptop data onto the red drive. In fact the 2 laptops that I setup backups on, I will instead just peform an image of them, and then just archive their drives (as an archive backup) as they are on their last legs. A third laptop I will setup for the first time on the red drive.

I suspect you could also simply shut down your server, remove the Green 2TB, clone it to the Red, and put it back into the server. If you use a good cloning program it should make an exact copy of the drive and the server won't be able to tell the difference.

I can't remember for sure, since it's been quite a while, but I think I used to use gparted to do cloning and it never failed.

what I'd really like to do to the green drive is simply remove its user accounts, format it and remove it and start afresh with my red drive, keeping it simple, but I'm unsure if the OS will have setup issues with not seeing the green drive.

How much data are we talking about? If everything will fit on the C drive, then just move the folders back to their original location. What I said to do with the dual drives was the easiest.

....reinstalling WHS2011.....I agree, that would be the cleanest, but I was just wondering if it was necessary to re-install the OS?.. but thats takes time and if I did is any activiation issues?

very little data, maybe 100GB, but I'm happy to delete it as I may organise that data a bit on the laptops before I move their data onto the server again.

yes , I've only added data to the predefined shared folders, ..music/pictures/documets/..I moved these from the C drive onto the green drive(E) and then added music and pictures to to them. (D was the C partition)