RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

EX495 locking up - Hard drive issue?

bline22

yea, that's the one where you start in one machine and finish in another, right? (of course I was too lazy to open the link)

WHS2011 is currently running on my EX495 and it's been rock solid. 6+ months, anyway. I'm using Jerry Wade's Home Server Status addin instead of the Launchpad and I've got it sending backup status reports via email. In my opinion, 2011 runs at least as well as HP's version of v1. Better, actually.

I am not an expert but am not sure it is hard drive related as it seems odd it only does it after it has been running 20 minutes. If it was a hard drive whouldn't you think it would do it constantly?

Could it be an issue with the PSU getting warm and not having the power to drive both drives.

I should add that I installed 2011 using the .ini file. Pretty easy, but ikon's 'start the install on another machine w/ a monitor and finish it on the headless server' method sounds like it might be easier still. Good luck.

I should add that I installed 2011 using the .ini file. Pretty easy, but ikon's 'start the install on another machine w/ a monitor and finish it on the headless server' method sounds like it might be easier still. Good luck.

It's very easy to do. The trick, if you can call it that, is to wait 10 minutes after powering up the WHS with the new drive (basically, until its address can be PINGed and/or a computer named SERVER shows up in Network Neighborhood) and then use a browser to go to http://<serverIP>/setup/launch.aspx. This is what let's you continue the installation process.

Thanks for all of the feedback.

What add-ins do people find most useful for 2011? I always run lights out in the past and will do so again but are there others people use?

Second, i have videos spanned across a few drives and love for them to all show under the videos folder. How are people doing this?

I got 2011 installed on my new 3tb drive. I could not get the usb stick to boot even thought it would boot from my laptop. I have no idea why. the status light would sit with a constant blue blink. it would never change to the blue/red. I let the thing sit for 12 hours too thinking maybe it was humming along even though i heard nothing from the HD. I used the method of installing it from my desktop and pulling the drive after the first reboot method and it worked great so far.

I think my main drive is bad and what was causing my issues. I tried a couple of times to run chckdsk where it would get to a certain point and lock up.

I don't run any add-ins at all.

My Data Pool is on a RAID5 array on 4x2TB drives on a 3ware RAID card. That gives me a 6TB Data Pool.

Sorry to hear the USB stick method didn't work, but glad the remote install method did.