RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Joe_Miner

Questions about N40L BIOS-MOD's NIC's Memory etc.

jmwills

The only one in question would be the NIC driver and that should not be that hard to find in the HP site, if it does not auto install.

<edit> It is a Broadcom NetExtreme Gigabit adapter.

Joe_Miner

I've installed WHS-2011 onto the MicroServer N40L several times and each time it had no problems finding the drivers but it wouldn't hurt to have drivers for S2008R2 available -- WHS-2011 is essentially the same as S2008R2-Foundation.

One suggestion I would make is when you install WHS-2011 that you don't activate WHS-2011 (you have up to 30 days to activate it) and in the interim you experiment with WHS-2011 and different set-ups and try different trial software packages -- at the end of your trial period take what you've learned and do a clean install of WHS-2011 and set it up the way you like and then install your important data (after also deciding on a 3-2-1 backup plan).

a15457

I didn't need any driver disks when I installed 2008R2. :)

LoneWolf

Other notes to think about:

-Installing an aftermarket NIC (e.g., an Intel NIC) may offer features not supported by the onboard NIC (e.g., jumbo frames, better ToE, etc.). It depends on how picky you are, and as Joe said, one good reason for adding a second NIC (or a dual-port NIC) is for Hyper-V or ESXi. I didn't do this because both of my expansion slots are already taken by cards that took preference, or I might have considered a basic Intel server NIC.

-Adding a second memory module does mean you get dual-channel support, for better bandwidth. I'm a big believer in feeding a system all the memory bandwidth it can get, and this becomes more important if you're using the onboard video for anything serious, as it can benefit GPU performance. I'd prefer two 2GB modules over a single 4GB for this reason; if you already have one 4GB module, a second 4GB is relatively cheap at this time.

Edited by LoneWolf

archy121

Anyone tried using USB Gigabit Network Adapter instead of PCIe slot card ?

Could be useful option for people like me who intend to populate the PCIe slots with other options.

Lycom NW-102 is a USB3 Gigabit adapter that I may consider in the future once my ordered USB3 PCIe card is tested out.

DumbMarine

As the originator of the question(s) that Joe has taken the time to post a useful detailed response may I ask a further question re the HP N40L and the biod-mod?

After flashing the bios I did notice it mentioned USB 3.0 when poking around in said modded bios? Has anyone else noticed this and commented on it? Since the HP N40L only has USB 2.0 ports and many are putting a PCIE USB 3.0 card in the back, does the motherboard natively support USB 3.0?

Ian

Joe_Miner

Hi Ian. When BIOS MOD worked on the BIOS all they did was make visible everything that HP had hidden -- so there are now a few things visible that aren't actually supported in the HardWare like the USB 3, SleepMode, or HotSwap for instance though in the case of HotSwap you do need that enabled to be able to turn on the PortMultiplier on the eSATA Port. Lot's of comments about that stuff all over the Forums.

DumbMarine

Thanks again Joe. I also didn't look at the original bios before flashing it so had no idea what was new (available) and what was original. I have searched in vain to try to identify the motherboard but did find a line saying it is proprietory.

cheers

Ian