RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Home server build, New to home server

hdjmings1

Not sure why you're distinguishing between WHS and a NAS. As far as I'm concerned WHS is as much a NAS as any other box.

The thing I see missing from your setup is offsite backup.  I think your plan to have 2 boxes that back each other up is good, but it needs that 1 last component to truly be backed up.

My own personal opinion is that, as long as you have enough backup, it doesn't matter that much what level of RAID you have. Yes, some levels of RAID are more resilient than others, but the key issue is date security. If you can assure yourself that you can recover your data no matter what disaster occurs then my feeling is that you're good to go.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• jmwills

• ikon

• hdjmings1

What would u recommond as a good afordable raid card?

As i would use motherboard sata port for OS then raid card for the main storage/pool?

How would i set up an array for backup? Use the raid card or a second raid card?

So the plan is to have internal raid array for main pool/storage (to start 2X 2TB) External raid array for backup (again to start 2X 2TB). And gotta think about off site backup. That sound right?

I've never seen a NAS do a bare metal restore.

True. So WHS is a Super-NAS?? :)

What would u recommond as a good afordable raid card?

As i would use motherboard sata port for OS then raid card for the main storage/pool?

How would i set up an array for backup? Use the raid card or a second raid card?

So the plan is to have internal raid array for main pool/storage (to start 2X 2TB) External raid array for backup (again to start 2X 2TB). And gotta think about off site backup. That sound right?

Sounds good to me. Many forum members like the HighPoint RocketRaid 2720 RAID card.