RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Need advice on an SSD purchase

TSWired

For a while now I have been using an OCZ Vertex 2 (90gig) drive in my primary desktop. It has had the occasional bricking issues and I have gotten by with swapping out a spare and rma-ing the dead drive for much too long now.

I am looking for something more reliable and stable, I am using it as an OS/application drive and data is all on a separate drive.

I was going to pick up a Samsung 830 but I am having a hard time finding one in stock.

Should I just go with an 840 and trust it will be as reliable as I have heard the 830s are? Would I have better luck with Intel?

I only need something around the 120 gig size for my purposes. Stability is a priority over speed for me, but I still want the speed of an SSD. I am hoping to stay arround $100.00 price wise if possible.

Thanks in advance for the help.

ikon beat me to it. Intel 330/335 are fairly inexpensive and very good, I have 3 of them and have been very happy with them.

I've installed (on my machines or those of relatives) =>

1 Intel without any problem; and

4 Crucial M4's without any problems; and

1 Corsair F3, 3 Corsair GT's, 1 Corsair GS, and 1 Corsair GTX -- all without any problems.

I've had good luck with the Corsair F3 for example and I notice that one is on sale today at http://homeserversho...tate-drive-ssd/

Edited by Joe_Miner

I have lost 2 Crucial, 1 Vertex MAX IOP (which they quickly replaced an all is well) and 0 Intel's. If you at the systems in my signature, you will see I only run OCZ and Intel.

Exactly pcdoc. You just don't hear about failed Intel SSD's. Granted, they're not the fastest-in-class units anymore, but SSD's are so fast anyway, does it really matter?

I have 2 OCZ's, 2 Mushkin's, 1 Intel, and an OCZ RevoDrive (currently not in use). The RevoDrive has given me cause for concern; that's why it's not in use. I had to RMA 1 of the Mushkin's. I think pcdoc's experience is fairly typical and it mirrors mine pretty much.

I only use ocz. A friend had an intel die on him. They are like spindles, they all die, but mileage varies by user.