RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Drive Pool, WHS2011 with SSD

I am new and have whs2011 installed on SSD. I am interested in using DrivePool for the pool drives, but want to know if I must install DP before installing any of the pool drives? or can I begin moving data onto a pool drive and later install DP? Second, does DP pool the space on the SSD as well - I would prefer this SSD space not be included in the drive pool.

Thanks for any help!

You can definitely move data onto the drive and then add it to the pool. But you'd need to move the data around to get it to re-appear in the pool (or allow the dashboard to move it)

As for which drives it uses, it won't use the system partition, but I believe it should let you use any other partitions/drives (other than Server Backup drives). But by default, *no* drives would be included into the pool. you have to manually add them.

And are you looking at StableBit DrivePool, or Drive Bender?

As I remember it from when I tested it, you cannot add the system drive to the pool even if you wanted to.

I don't know about before, but double checked. You cannot add the C:\ drive to the pool. But if you have another partition on the system disk (like d:\), *that* definitely can be added. (at least, with StableBit DrivePool)

Edited by Drashna (WGS)

Yeah... I wasn't entirely sure. I had to recreate my D:\ partition to test that out

(deleted it a couple of weeks ago and resized OS to about 120GB in prep to move to SSD, but have been lazy)