RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Seagate Barracude 3TB 7200RPM HD - $129

mattd390

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148844&Tpk=22-148-844&nm_mc=EMC-GD010713&cm_mmc=EMC-GD010713-_-index-_-Item-_-22-148-844

Promo Code EMCYTZT2752

Brand Seagate Series Barracuda 7200.14 Model ST3000DM001 Packaging Bare Drive

Performance

Interface SATA 6.0Gb/s Capacity 3TB RPM 7200 RPM Cache 64MB Average Seek Time <8.5ms Average Write Time <9.5ms Average Latency 4.16ms

In days gone by Seagate drives weren't known for their reliability; is this still the case? I'm thinking that 3TB drives are the sweet spot these days and I'm starting to gear up for getting something in the way of mass storage in my home (but that's another topic) and oddly enough big drives seem to play a role in that.

I think they are all equally poor quality now days excluding SSDs. But for storage drives I like the Western Digital Reds. I have had about 80 of these in operation at various places I work and no problems. They have been in operation for a few months. Probably not enough time, or large enough sample to get a good MTF but so far so good.

Just to round things out a bit, I ran into my first issue with a Red. I've been setting them up for a relative's business (for his customers' hardware) and they've been great, except for 1.

Before putting them into production, all drives used in my relative's business are SpinRited on Level 4. So far, we've go through about a dozen Reds. Last week, one would not SpinRite. We tried 4 times and SpinRite said 'no go'. It's going back for RMA. Other than that, great results.

I wonder if that drive would have failed at level 2? Also I wonder if you had put that drive into production if it would have even worked for a period of time and then failed? I think some drives are just DOA. But how could they not be quality controlled before being released for sale by the manufacturer? Maybe they were mishandled by the retailer.

Edited by joem

I only worry about drives passing at Level 4. If they don't, they get RMA'd if they're under warranty. This is one of the main reasons I SpinRite every drive before it goes into production; it's a break-in/torture test for new drives. In this case, fortunately, it filtered out a drive that almost certainly would have failed prematurely.

As far as manufacturer QC is concerned, they do not fully test every drive. They can't; the cost would of drives would go up dramatically.