RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Advice on Video Conversion

David Froemke

Hello All,

I need some help selecting the best software for batch converting my movie collection to be compatible with a Roku 2 XS and Panasonic Viera TV can play.

I began my HTPC use way back in the original WMC days and have been generally happy, but the family has requested that the experience require less 'fiddling' around to get things to work . . . they aren't nerds and need something more simple.

I've ripped 100 or so DVDs using Slysoft's AnyDVDHD and CloneDVD. This has left me with movies in Audio_TS/Video_TS folders with multiple VOB files. You know this drill.

I'm looking for software that will convert these movies from the existing format to something that the Roku & Panasonic TV can play.

I'm not a big fan of Handbrake as I'm looking to do something in a bit more automatically.

Thanks for your help.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cskenney

• ikon

• joem

• David Froemke

How are you going to server up the videos for the Roku? Are you planning to use Plex? As you have already figured out the Roku isn't able to handle the Video_TS files, right?

I am contemplating the same thing since I have been using SageTV for years and all my movies are ripped as DVD (Video_TS). I have a Roku 2 XD on the way and I am trying to figure out what I want to do.

As far as converting files here are some tools I have used:

- This uses Handbrake to convert files but it makes it easier to use. There is also the option to que up multiple files for conversion.

- This is a 15 day free trial and then you have to buy. I have used this to convert a lot of DVD video_TS to files that are compatible with various tables and portable devices.

I know there are others but these are a couple I use.

My thought at the moment is to encode (reencode) them with the existing HTPC. Then copy them to a USB External HD that ultimately connects directly to the Roku via USB. How have you used the applications you suggested in the past? Batch converting? Movie by movie?

thanks for the help so far.

My thought at the moment is to encode (reencode) them with the existing HTPC. Then copy them to a USB External HD that ultimately connects directly to the Roku via USB. How have you used the applications you suggested in the past? Batch converting? Movie by movie?

thanks for the help so far.

I use the Arcsoft program and I que up a bunch of them and let them run overnight. My main use in the past was to put them into a format to load onto our IPad.

I forgot to mention that it was pcdoc's recommendation that had me try Arcsoft Media Converter and I was not disappointed.

I need to look at Arcsoft for AVCHD conversion, but my jailbroken ATV2 plays my DVD folder rips natively.

What a great help you guys have been. So here are a few follow up questions:

1) After re-ripping with Arcsoft how do I get the image shown in the file folder be representative of the file. Say the cover art.

2) Does Arcsoft keep the same audio settings as the source? For instance, I'm ripping a DVD about airplanes and it uses the Dolby 7.1 surround processing, will Arcsoft pass the audio thru with the same quality?

Thanks again for all the help.

What a great help you guys have been. So here are a few follow up questions:

1) After re-ripping with Arcsoft how do I get the image shown in the file folder be representative of the file. Say the cover art.

2) Does Arcsoft keep the same audio settings as the source? For instance, I'm ripping a DVD about airplanes and it uses the Dolby 7.1 surround processing, will Arcsoft pass the audio thru with the same quality?

Thanks again for all the help.

PS: I'm leaning toward adding an Xbox 360 versus the Roku.

There is a bug in Arcsoft Media Converter 8 that can cause it to hang on batch conversion. I've found it occurs less when set to 2 concurrent processes and 4 cores. Hopefully they'll patch in next update. Great app.