RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Rebalancing Storage Spaces

Ncage1974

The machine i'm working with isn't actually Server 2012 Essentials but rather Server 2012 Standard. When i first setup this machine i had 4 hard drives in the pool. I setup up it up as parity using ReFS. I've now added 3 more hard drives to the pool for a total of 7. Now i know storage spaces doesn't automatically rebalance anything but i thought i heard somewhere that there is a powershell command you can run to rebalance your drives manually. I've googled but have been unable to find any info. Does anyone have any information how to accomplish manually rebalance my drives so the the data is distributed across all 7 drives rather than just the 4?

thanks...

As you are using a parity configuration, you do not need to 'Rebalance". Trying to balance it would be a slow and endless process as it would have to move the data and update the parity drives. I have little to no faith in SS but I do have faith that array will mange itself. My suggestion is to not worry about balancing but rather focus on backing up the array as my experience has not been very good and you should protect yourself.

My suggestion is to not worry about balancing but rather focus on backing up the array as my experience has not been very good and you should protect yourself.

I agree, Pcdoc. These articles were of particular concern for me.

http://www.smallnetb...rage-space-pool

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas-features/31836-data-recovery-tales-when-windows-storage-spaces-go-bad

Edited by LoneWolf