RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Green drives, RAID and the sleep setting

Beansontoast

Hi Everyone,

I while back I was reading a thread which advised on how you could use green drives in a N40L hardware RAID 5 configuration, provided you changed the default eight-second polling time to something like fifteen.

Theory being, that this is then enough time for the green drive to have woken from its slumber and the array will then function without issue.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I have searched in vain for the article which detailed how to do this and I can't find it anywhere.

Is anyone aware of the actual specifics of changing these timings, and if so, can you please point me in the direction of this article.

Help appreciated !

Are you perhaps referring to TLER (Time-Limited Error Recovery), which limits how long a drive can take to read a sector if it's having difficulty? The symptom is that a drive gets dropped out of an array because the RAID controller tries to poll the drive and it won't respond because it's trying to recover a sector or sectors.

That's interesting. The trouble is, until I find the article I'm not 100% certain.

I suppose the bottom line is -

1) What are the limitations of a green-raid combo

2) Can the limitations be resolved?

In the meantime, thanks for the input.

I'll keep looking into ......

You need to contact WD or find the TLER utility on the internet. If you are going to use it, I would disable it completely and make it like the RED drives. Email WD and see what they tell you.

Hi Everyone,

I while back I was reading a thread which advised on how you could use green drives in a N40L hardware RAID 5 configuration, provided you changed the default eight-second polling time to something like fifteen.

Theory being, that this is then enough time for the green drive to have woken from its slumber and the array will then function without issue.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I have searched in vain for the article which detailed how to do this and I can't find it anywhere.

Is anyone aware of the actual specifics of changing these timings, and if so, can you please point me in the direction of this article.

Help appreciated !

Are you thinking of the Intellipark settings on some of the green drives? If so, here is link to the thread:

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/2235-fix-for-wdeas-green-drives-intellipark-found/

I used wdidle3 to disable Intellipark on my EADS drives and have not had any problems with them in a RAID 5 configuration.

My understanding is that current WD drives cannot be made TLER-enabled with the WD utility; TLER is either coded into the firmware in the factory, or it isn't, and this has been the case for some time.

I would not recommend using Green drives in a RAID-5; WD specifically advises against it both due to the power-saving (although this can be at least partially mitigated by disabling IntelliPark) and the lack of TLER. WD Red drives are designed to avoid this issue and are still low-heat/low-power, and they also are TLER-enabled. I would use them.

Edited by LoneWolf

I stand corrected and LoneWolf is right. There are many successful RAID 5 configurations that run green drives as I had two for a couple of years as well as others. That said, if you do have a choice, the RED drives are a safer bet.

Are you thinking of the Intellipark settings on some of the green drives? If so, here is link to the thread:

http://homeserversho...ellipark-found/

I used wdidle3 to disable Intellipark on my EADS drives and have not had any problems with them in a RAID 5 configuration.

I think that's the one..... that is ringing a lot of bells (well certainly the widdle bit).

There is a lot of info on that post. I'll take stock of everything it says and decide from there on a course of action.

I stand corrected and LoneWolf is right. There are many successful RAID 5 configurations that run green drives as I had two for a couple of years as well as others. That said, if you do have a choice, the RED drives are a safer bet.

Thanks Doc, follow up appreciated.

Got a bit more research to do on this one, but it looks fairly intriguing, as is often the case where a few mods here and there can 'potentially' provide you with an otherwise out of reach solution.

Shame those Reds are so expensive ......

I will definitely go with the Reds when I have to. However, I'm going to run my EADS' until they quit (got some spares). I've always got backups rotating in and out of the house, the cloud, and the server backup itself, so data loss shouldn't be a problem (there I've run my mouth, so sparks should begin spewing from my server within the hour).