RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

UEFI

joem

I have ten Lenovo laptops I am going to install SSDs. I noticed in the bios that in the Boot menu there is a selection for "Boot Mode" and another for "Boot Priority". There are two choices in each. "UEFI First" and "Legacy Support". What is the significance of that? I am a little confused as to what the ramifications of using one or the other. The first computer I installed the SSD into had legacy support and if you change the bios to UEFI First it will not boot. Thanks.

PS. These ten laptops are for a company that I support.

Edited by joem

The OS you install is specific to the UEFI "mode" you intend to use. If you intend to use UEFI all the time, then you can only install a 64-bit OS (like Win7/Win8) that supports UEFI.

Once the OS is installed, you can't change the UEFI/BIOS(Legacy) "mode" without making the drive unbootable.

UEFI would allow the system to boot very fast in relation to "Legacy" mode. The downside to UEFI is you must use a 64-bit OS and the boot drive must be formatted as GPT.

In the end, you must use the method that your company requires. If your company requires a 32-bit OS or drives with a MBR boot partition, then your choice is made for you...Legacy (BIOS) mode.

Edited by Mr_Smartepants

Also, UEFI uses GPT for the boot disk, and WHS is not capable of backing up and restoring GPT partitions at this point in time.

Probably not directly related to the company you're supporting, but one consideration when choosing the mode is whether WHSv1 or WHS2011 will be doing the client backups. Ir yes, then you should not choose UEFI because neither of those versions of WHS can do bare metal restores of GPT drives (at least not yet. If current rumours are true, WHS2011 will be getting GPT support soon).

ikon the server I am using is 2012 Essentials. Something of interest. I still have the original spinning hard disk I removed before upgrading the laptop with the SSD. It will boot in either legacy mode or UEFI. It was set for UEFI originally when received from Lenovo. Evidently they are using UEFI on all new win 8 products. Therefore it appears that if you install an OS in UEFI mode it will also boot in legacy mode. Swings both ways. Not so if you install the OS in legacy mode. You have to remain in that mode to get ignition. (This is my experience only. Your mileage may vary)

As an aside. The new Lenovo computers are not shipping with a Window license key code. No MIcrosoft Product Key label included what so ever. Be sure to use some kind of product key finder to get the product key and save it for future reference. Lenovo wants $59 for restore disk. The Media Recovery Maker they have included with the machine does not work properly to make restore optical media, or a bootable USB key. I went over and over with them about this on the phone. They said they would get back to me on that. They called me back and said the following: "Joe, I guess you are right, we couldn't create valid media either". One for me.

Here is another tip. The new HP computers with Win 8 preinstalled will not dumb down to Windows 7. The drivers they are using will work with Windows 8 only on consumer grade computers they manufacture. The kind pick up at Best Buy, etc. The business grade HPs can be reinstalled with Windows 7.

Good luck!

ikon the server I am using is 2012 Essentials.

In that case, never mind ;)

You are correct, most UEFI formatted systems will boot in Legacy, but not the other way round. It's backwards compatible but not forward, kinda like a lot of other things.

I don't know what WDS is.

Windows Distribution System; mainly an enterprise tool, but not entirely.

Err, ikon, it's Windows Deployment Services. :)

And yeah, it is meant for enterprise deployment, but it's awesome in general. Requires running DHCP on the server, unless you have a router with 3rd party firmware, or are using a custom router (like pfSense IIRC).

I still would not go GPT/UEFI on an SSD. If you are building from scratch and plan to use WHS, stick with MBR for now.

• Like 1