RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

N40L HELP: SSD Performance issues & which GFX card ?

archy121

There are two LP brackets.

To use all three ports you need to use both brackets.

When I installed a HD5450 in the N40L I just disconnected the VGA connector so that I wouldn't need the VGA LP bracket for that connector -- I was only going to use the HDMI for the HTPC functions anyway.  The Pictures at Newegg clearly show two LP Brackets which was the same as what I got with the HD5450.

http://homeservershow.com/hp-proliant-n40l-microserver-hdmi-video-card-hss-meet-2013.html

Ah. Got it. It's the old 'double-wide' video card trick. Wouldn't work too well in the N40L, at least not if you still wanted to use the only other slot. I still don't think it's clear enough what's going on. I only saw 1 photo with the brackets, and it was just the overall box contents photo. There should be a photo of the brackets mounted, to show how it works.

• 7 years later...

Hi All, 

I'm looking for a graphics card for my n40l and the nvidia geforce GT520 has been recommended to use.  Is this the best of the bunch for my server or is there others I can use? 

I've seen quite a few GT520's but not many with the low profile bracket. 

Thanks in advance. 

5 hours ago, Scoobiedoo79 said:

Hi All, 

I'm looking for a graphics card for my n40l and the nvidia geforce GT520 has been recommended to use.  Is this the best of the bunch for my server or is there others I can use? 

I've seen quite a few GT520's but not many with the low profile bracket. 

Thanks in advance. 

Depends on your budget and what you are trying to achieve. I think you would want to look for a low profile single slot width card. Cards based on the GT 1030 are likely the fastest available today. If a workstation card will work there are several NVIDIA Quadro cards that are LP single slot cards. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, schoondoggy said:

Depends on your budget and what you are trying to achieve. I think you would want to look for a low profile single slot width card. Cards based on the GT 1030 are likely the fastest available today. If a workstation card will work there are several NVIDIA Quadro cards that are LP single slot cards. 

Thanks for the reply. 

Cards basically being installed to allow plex a transcode files better.  Budget wise I was thinking probably about £50 ish give or take.