RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Replacing system drive - partial success

davidhoy

I recently got a SMART error on the system drive of my WHS v1 machine, in which I had two identical 750Gb drives. I purchased a new 2Tb drive, and using EaseUS DiskCopy I cloned the failing drive, containing the C: "SYS" partition and the D: "DATA" partition, to the new drive. The partitions on the new drive were identical in size to the original, and I was able to boot and run my HS from the new drive. All good and happy so far. However, the extra 1.2Tb of disk space on the new drive seems to be in limbo. The "Server Storage" tab show the correct sizes of my two drives, but the 1.2Tb of space is maked as "System" in gray in the pie chart on the sidebar - I have attached a screenshot of the console showing this.Capture3.JPG

How do I make this space available for regular storage? Can I use a partition manager to resize the D: "DATA" partition to fill up the remaining space? Or can I create a new partition in the empty space? Since my HS is working again, I want to be careful not to mess it up.

Any suggestions would be most welcome...

-David

Remote Desktop into your server and run Disk Manager, to see what options are available for that 1.2TB 'partition'. Once we have that, we can look at what options you might have.

Thanks, ikon! The Disk Management console shows the following:

Disk 0, Basic, 1863.01 GB, Online:

SYS (C:), 20.00 GB NTFS, Healthy (System)

DATA (D:), 678.63 GB NTFS, Healthy

Unallocated 1163.39 GB

Disk 1, Basic, 698.63 GB, Online:

DATA (No drive letter) 698.63 GB NTFS, Healthy

If I try to create a new partition in the unallocated space, the only available options are Primary and Extended. I created a Primary partition yesterday, but that did not work, and I figured I'd try to educate myself before trying anything else that might be more disruptive.

Any ideas what would happen if I used a partition manager to resize the DATA (D:) partition to include the unallocated space?

-David

This looks pretty good. Have you tried right-clicking on the D: partition in Disk Manager and selecting Extend to add the Unallocated space to it?

Right-clicking on the D: partition does not give me any option to Extend the partition. That was why I mentioned a 3rd-party partition manager, but I just wanted some reasonable degree of confidence that extending the partition would not confuse WHS before proceeding with this option. I guess worst comes to worst, I still have the unaltered original drive that I could clone again if something goes wrong...

-David

If you have already created a primary partition in the extra space, you will have to delete it before you can extend it. Once a partition is created it blocks modification

For WHS v1 you can't just clone the system drive and replace. Some clone software do not properly duplicate the Disk ID's and that's where the problem comes in. There's actually a process that is similar to add 3TB drives to the pool, see here https://spackle.word...-3tb-in-whs-v1/ I would suggest installing the Disk Management addin from Tenticle Software, you might see that it says the system drive is missing. I might be on the wrong track, so try the addin and let us know, http://www.tentaclesoftware.com/products/whs/diskmanagement

For WHS v1 you can't just clone the system drive and replace. Some clone software do not properly duplicate the Disk ID's and that's where the problem comes in. There's actually a process that is similar to add 3TB drives to the pool, see here https://spackle.word...-3tb-in-whs-v1/ I would suggest installing the Disk Management addin from Tenticle Software, you might see that it says the system drive is missing. I might be on the wrong track, so try the addin and let us know, http://www.tentacles.../diskmanagement

But his system is booting OK. Wouldn't that rule out cloning issues? From the screenshot he posted, I think he just needs to extend his D: partition in Disk Manager.

Extending the D:\ drive can cause issues.... As the volume is tracked by the Storage Manager, and make cause issues when it's changed. :(