RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHSv1 End of support

kermi

So, WHSv1 is five days from running out of support, <http://support.micro...Filter=FilterNO> which means no more security updates. Is it actually going to stop, or will server 2003 support lifecycle come into it (all the way to 2015)? If WHSv1 is actually going to stop receiving updates in a week, i'm in for a hurry to upgrade it to whs 2011, or atleast remove it from the internet.

Anyone have more exact information on this, or will we just have to see for next patch tuesday?

Also: writing posts with IE10 is buggy :D

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• jmwills

• ikon

• kermi

End of mainstream support means no more non-critical security updates. It means that you should still get critical security updates, but *only* those updates.

And it's not that you'll stop getting updates... you should still be able to get all the updates still, but no more non-critical updates will be released.

Ah, true that. Somehow I missed that it was the mainstream support end.

So i wonder when Extended support ends...

It means critical updates, like security, continue but there will be no new features. For example, until 2016, it is possible the MS will add GPT support to WHS2011. If it's not added by 2016, then it won't happen at all.

One thing to point out, the older operating systems have a tendency to become more secure over time becasue the hackers are targeting the newer platforms. There aren't many new bugs out there for Server 2003, yes a few, but not like 2008 and 2012.

If you keep things like Java and Flash off the server and run it in a pure format, you should be okay. Remember, the first breakdown in network security is your index finger.

Remember, the first breakdown in network security is your index finger.

And here I was, thinking all along that it's having your head up your butt :D

One thing to point out, the older operating systems have a tendency to become more secure over time becasue the hackers are targeting the newer platforms. There aren't many new bugs out there for Server 2003, yes a few, but not like 2008 and 2012.

If you keep things like Java and Flash off the server and run it in a pure format, you should be okay. Remember, the first breakdown in network security is your index finger.

repeat after me: Servers Are Not For Surfing The Web! :D

• Like 1

It's a web server....the most vulnerable of all. No one said anything about surfing form the server.

One thing that is rarely brought here is the security validation of all these Add-Ins. None are ever approved by Microsoft.

It's a web server....the most vulnerable of all. No one said anything about surfing form the server.

One thing that is rarely brought here is the security validation of all these Add-Ins. None are ever approved by Microsoft.

That has always been a big concern of mine. So I tried not to install very many apps.