RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP N40L Drivers

Canned Heat

Just Installed WHS 2011, on a New Microserver for the first time.

Just noticed that there are no issues in device manager with the supplied windows drivers.

Headed over to the HP site for Windows Server 2008 R2 downloads,

and noticed the chipset driver is 132 MB... was going to grab the chipset / Graphics / Network and maybe the Storage one, that looks the same as the Chipset one at 132 MB anyway.

Just wanted to throw this out there and see what you guys are doing with this.

Using only Windows supplied drivers?

Using the HP Provided Ones?

Performance / stability of the HP Drivers over the Windows Ones?

HP Storage Driver - (SATA Raid Driver) on a Non Raided Setup?

Since you are this early into the install, I'd say see what difference it makes. You could always blow it away and start over. The other side of me says, if it's working leave it alone.

I ended up upgrading the Microsoft supplied video card driver because it gave me a maximum resolution of 1280, I need 1440, I got the driver from AMD/ati, it's a HD4200.

Thanks Diehard,

Might go with the Windows Default Drivers then.

No Need for High Res Myself.

Thanks Guys

Diehard makes a good point on the video driver. As a rule of thumb after the initial installation, I never accept a driver upgrade from Microsoft. If I see there is one pending, I check the mfg's site to verify and then use it if I think it will help me.

I believe there's a thread in these forums that talks about multi-port eSATA and needing an updated driver to get it to work. Of course, it also requires the 3rd party BIOS. If you don't need multi-port eSATA then there's probably no reason to change drivers.

Guys, what about SATA speed? Aren't the onboard SATA ports limited to 1.5Gb by default? Doesn't it take the mod BIOS to get them up to 3Gb?

Guys, what about SATA speed? Aren't the onboard SATA ports limited to 1.5Gb by default? Doesn't it take the mod BIOS to get them up to 3Gb?

Yes it does.

• 2 months later...

I thought I'd jump start this thread with a general question on using the HP Proliant drivers on the HP site for WServer 2008 R2. My unit being the N54L.

I noticed that the Sata Array, NIC and a few others are considerably newer (2012) than the default drivers installed by WHS 2011 (2006).  By what I've read in many other posts, everyone seems to be running with WHS default installed drivers.

Even if not for the latest versions, wouldn't there be an advantage to running the HP specific drivers for the SATA Array, NIC and USB?  Could we realize a speed increase of any sort?  Just curious.

HP Proliant Drivers Page Here.

Edited by judgeschambers