RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Battery backup/ups for hyper-v server

Jesse

Hi,

I am finally getting around to setting up my hyper-v host using the free version of hyper-v 2012 and I am looking for a way to have a ups shut the the machine down gracefully. So far all I am finding is an expensive network card based solution from apc. Anyone have some advice on this?

Thanks,

Jesse

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

This question has come up in these forums before: i.e. how to gracefully shut down VM's in a power failure. I don't believe the people asking the question were using Hyper-V Server; I think they were using Server 2012 (or similar). I'm not sure if that would make a difference or not.

^ I think it does make a huge difference. Server 2012 (except Core) has the GUI that UPS software can latch on to. Hyper-V Server is primarily command-line driven so although having UPS software support is probably doable, it's not as simple as when doing it within the Windows GUI.

Yeah. I kinda wondered that too, which is why I mentioned it :) Even with a GUI OS though, I'm not really aware of any UPS software that will gracefully shut down VM's - that was the thrust of the question in the thread I remember. I don't recall anyone coming up with a good response.

I haven't done much time with VMs (though I have them now on my Win8 laptop). I think that if you shutdown the host, the VMs would either go into a paused or saved state.... or something along those lines.

So basically when the host machine comes up when power resumes, the VMs are un-paused or they typically go back to what their previous state was.

I have an older APC UPS that has a USB connection that I use. I plug it into the server and use a powershell script called Watch-UPS. This script monitors the state of the UPS (charging/discharging and percentage) and when it reaches a threshold you specify will shutdown the host. The host will then handle the shutting down of the various VM's based on their settings.

Its the poor mans version if your comfortable with using powershell scripts. Works perfectly for me. The only thing I can't do with my UPS is have the machine come back online afterwards automatically. That may require better hardware.

You can get more details on the script here.

http://www.servercare.nl/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?List=f9fb19de-694c-4b82-993a-ff0ca97ea371&ID=102&Source=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.servercare.nl%2Fdefault.aspx&Web=5a5dd9e9-f7be-4b29-a574-a5635831c5c3

What brand of UPS do you have?

I have several: some APC, some CyberPower. My WHS is currently on a CyberPower true sinewave UPS.