RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

slowwww network connection between WSE and Vista

mick_meyers

Hello everyone, first off i'm not real network savy, but have been building and repairing computers for a long time. I have my server (windows essentials) connected to a wireless router, which has another windows computer connected (vista ultimate). these two computers are literally sitting next to one another, but the transfer speed between the two computers is about 2-3 mb per second. I've upgrade both network cards, and the wireless router (ASUS RT-AC66U). Downloaded any upgrades for either OS. Any help is appreciated, or point me in the right direction.

mick

Hi mick. I have a couple of questions, to start:

1. why are you connecting these 2 computers wirelessly instead of hardwiring them?
  2. when you say 2-3 mb, do you mean megabits or megabytes?

I would echo what Ikon says. That close could even cause interference problems since you ar transmitting from PC to router, and back the PC again. Hardwire it and you will never look back.

A few Qs:

1. The wireless clients may be sitting next to each, but how far is the access point from either PCs?

2. Are there other wired or wireless users connected to the same access point?

3. What is the "raw" connect speed of the clients to the wireless network?

Why do you guys think these are connected via wireless? I assumed the two are connected via ethernet directly to a "wireless router".

Why do you guys think these are connected via wireless? I assumed the two are connected via ethernet directly to a "wireless router".

You could be right, but I got the impression, from the way he worded his post, that the computers are connected wirelessly to the router.