RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Ripping Blu-Rays w/ Multi-Channel Audio

Marshall_W

So I've been trying to refine my ripping process as I look to get my first WHS2011 media server setup. Ideally I want something that requires only 1-2 steps to go from disc to compressed video. I find anything more involved just becomes to cumbersome to bother with... (for me)

With that said I feel that I am very close. I have been playing around with Auto Rip N Compress lately which combines MakeMKV with Handbrake to automate the rip and compress functions. This is significantly easier than the 3-4 step process I used to use... however, I am running into one issue I can't solve. I am loosing my "multi-channel" surround sound when I rip using MakeMKV (before using Handbrake to compress), which is a deal breaker for me. I run my HTPC through a Onkyo receiver and 5.1 system.

Based on my searching it sounds like MKV containers may not be able to support multi-channel audio. Does anyone out there know a good alternative that will give me this flexibility? I'm curious what other people are doing...

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pcdoc

• ikon

• eagle63

• Marshall_W

Top Posters In This Topic

This may not be what you want to hear, but I gave up on all the conversion/re-encoding/transcoding stuff. These days, like pcdoc, I just rip to folder structure. I do it with AnyDVD-HD. I use Total Media Theater to play back the rips. For me, there are just too many issues, like the one you've encountered, to make it worthwhile (for me).

Yea... I've considered it. I had problems getting XBMC to run off folder structures in the past (maybe they have fixed it since).

My bigger concern is with streaming from WHS2011 to other systems through WAN. I assume that an uncompressed blu ray file would be difficult for your average cable connection to stream.

Yea... I've considered it. I had problems getting XBMC to run off folder structures in the past (maybe they have fixed it since).

My bigger concern is with streaming from WHS2011 to other systems through WAN. I assume that an uncompressed blu ray file would be difficult for your average cable connection to stream.

Yeah. WAN connections are another issue. The way WHS2011 handles it is to do on-the-fly transcoding to SilverLight clients. If your clients don't run SilverLight, you've got an issue.

Mostly they will be to other HTPC systems, so that shouldn't be too much of a issue.

I also read that it can connect to any new DLNA compatible device. Does that mean these devices are SilverLight compatible as well? Or does it just give them a connection to the server to download the file?

What I've done with DLNA is to browse the server to find a file and play it. This is not what I call streaming because the client is pulling the file from the server; it's not being pushed in a proper streaming format. I'm not sure if WHS2011 can play to a DLNA device or not.

I see... so what exactly is the difference (pros/cons) between "playing" a file from the server, and "streaming" a file from the server? I assume "streaming" is more efficient over WAN?

I'll have to defer to others who are more knowledgeable/experienced with those things, especially WAN streaming, which is something I don't do. I run My Movies and Total Media Theater to browse the files on my server and then play them.

I could be wrong but I think your port forwarding for streaming would have to include UDP ports to be opened also. and not just TCP.

I second that. Folder Rips have been better for me. If you use MyMovies, you can do unattended rips with an automatic conversion for your portable devices with little to no intervention.