RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS 2011 and clustering

Canadian_Geek

I've got a completely insane question before I go to far with things. Is it possible to cluster 2 WHS 2011 systems?? I've got 2 systems (currently 1 with WHS and the other with win7) that I want WHS on, I was wondering if I could cluster them to easy with the management of them.

Hope everyone had a good Christmas and new yea. (or whichever holiday you celebrate this time of year)

Regards

CG

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pcdoc

• jmwills

• ikon

• Canadian_Geek

Correct, WHS 2011 cannot be clustered. The base OS without the WHS Features (Server 2008R2) can be clustered, just not the WHS version. Okay, I'll bite, why? the data could only be on one.

Of course there's sort of a "Hillbilly" cluster where you could run WHS-2011 on both machines and use something like Allway Sync to keep the Shares on both machines syncronzied. -- not really a cluster but more of a back-up solution and/or hot standby -- you'd still have to manage each individually and your clients would only be able to backup to one.

I am using the "Hillbilly" version and it works great however I did not know what it was called until today.

I don't know if it is required, but generally when Microsoft servers are clustered, data is stored on external networked storage, iSCSI, NAS. That way both servers have access in case of fail over.

Exactly, but in this case, the registry of WHS is locked in such a way that a hack would need to be inserted, the best I remember.