RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
r.mcadams@mchsi.com

Selling WMC Equipment - HDHomerun, Ceton Echo

Drashna Jaelre

Would only take a couple of minutes to set up and configure it enough to test. If it doesn't work, then only a small amount of time lost. If it works... only a large amount of time lost due to tweaking it to be exactly like you want. :P (optional, but ... you know you will)

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I thought XBMC couldn't play live TV or something that made it less appealing than Media Center. I have never looked at it because of it.

ikon

I thought XBMC couldn't play live TV or something that made it less appealing than Media Center. I have never looked at it because of it.

Not sure about that, not that it would be a concern for me anyway - the only real way to get TV in my area is cable, and they require you use their STB.

ikon

I installed XMBC 12RC3 about an hour ago. From what I've seen, it does not support Folder Structure. If I'm wrong, I would love someone to tell me how to get it working.

XBMC did, quite successfully, catalogue my non-Folder-Structure movies. It lists them, with cover art, no problem. But, I have Avatar blu-ray and Troy blu-ray (don't ask; it was a 'gift') that I ripped to Folder Structure using AnyDVD-HD. Neither of them show up in the list of movies.

jmwills

Whadda you know.....a "Geek Classic" :lol:

ikon

Whadda you know.....a "Geek Classic" :lol:

You mean Troy? Puh-leeze! OK, not the worst movie ever, but far, far from the best.

Marshall_W

I installed XMBC 12RC3 about an hour ago. From what I've seen, it does not support Folder Structure. If I'm wrong, I would love someone to tell me how to get it working.

You should be able to identify the type of structure "folder" or "file" when you setup the library. This post may be helpful (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=110279). Check the 6th post down...

Also... if you are new to XBMC, I strongly recommend you play around with the AEON SKIN. It is sharp, and light years better than the standard XBMC config.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Can XBMC be run from a USB stick?

ikon, where is the download for the software?

Even though this has been off topic for a while, at least it keeps the post to the top. I am interested in the HTPC even though I don't need it.

Drashna Jaelre

Yes, indeed, it can be run from a disk. Get the XBMCBuntu distro. and whatever util it is, that allows you to apply the image to a USB drive. Or of you don't mind non-persistant settings, you *could* set up Windows Deployment Services, WDSLinux, NFS, and "live boot" off the network... Just saying. :P

And no, XBMC doesn't support playing live TV directly. You need a "backend" like MythTV, SageTV, MediaPortal or the like to do that. But you grab the appropriate plug-in for XBMC (and the "PVR" build of XBMC, or v12 beta/RC) and it connects to the backend. It supplies a Guide and the like, IIRC.