RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
r.mcadams@mchsi.com

Selling WMC Equipment - HDHomerun, Ceton Echo

r.mcadams@mchsi.com

OK, Primarily due to poor cable service in my area (very rural), I'm thowing in the towel on WMC. I've used a custom built HTPC for about 3 years and have used 3 Xbox 360's as extenders and for the last month, a Ceton Echo extender. Putting all my gear up for sale.

Ceton Echo: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=281045602325

HDHomerun: http://www.ebay.com/itm/281045599643?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Sad to see WMC end with MS abondoning the product.... as good as the Genie from DirecTV is, it still doesn't have the ease of use of WMC. :-(

jcollison

Ok, so correct me if I am wrong, but WMC still works in Windows 7, right? And Windows 7 will be supported for the next X number of years? (that X being at least 5 or 6 if XP is any standard) I know you said that the primary reason you were moving on was poor cable service, but I am continually amazed at how many people are moving away from software that still have plenty of life left in it. Both WHS 2011 and Windows 7 still have lots of life left that don't require a move right now. Am I missing something here?

• Like 1

schoondoggy

I have three HTPC's Win 7 Pro with MC, plan on keeping them for years.

Marshall_W

Have you looked at running XBMC instead of ditching your nice hardware? XBMC is nicer than WMC in my book anyway...

ikon

On my system at least, I found XBMC ran slower than WMC. Mind you, now that I have a faster HTPC, maybe I should look at it again.

Drashna Jaelre

WMC is nicer, IMO. But XBMC has a lot more functionality, and features, and expandability. Though XBMC doesn't support Netflix. :(

ikon

Question for you Drashna; do you happen to know if XBMC can play Folder Structure Blu-Ray rips?

ikon

One way to find out though.

True enough.