RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WD Red Messed up my HTPC

Joe_Miner

One of the reasons I do run SpinRite.

Based on 2TB times being around 10 days, I'm guessing 3TB will take about 15. That's a long time, I know, but it's simply a matter of having a few spares around and planning ahead a bit ;) I mitigate the time issue to some extent by having a computer running 4 copies of SpinRite, each in its own VM.

Heard on a recent Security Now podcast that the soon to be released major upgrade of SpinRite update is said to take a day or two, even for 4TB (using AHCI mode, and access to more memory).

• Like 1

That's great news tinkererguy; first that it will be able to handle large drives, and second that it will be so much faster than before. I just hope it's as effective as ever, although it would be surprising if it wasn't, given Steve's penchant for perfection. Thanks for posting about it.

I use many WD HDDs da last years. The most was 1TB Black. Know I but 2 ST3000DM001 into my Gen8.

When I buy the 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001, I was thinking to by the Red. But in the internet I readmany postings, thats a green with different firmware.

One WD Green was dead after 2 Weeks, there was a firmware error.

Until know, only one very old SAMSUNG HDD (80GB) died, in a hot summer. It was a system HDD with Windows XP.

Too have a backup HDD of another brand is maybe necessary?

Greetings

That's great news tinkererguy; first that it will be able to handle large drives, and second that it will be so much faster than before. I just hope it's as effective as ever, although it would be surprising if it wasn't, given Steve's penchant for perfection. Thanks for posting about it.

That's definitely fantastic news. Hopefully that release is "soon", and not in 2016.....

I use many WD HDDs da last years. The most was 1TB Black. Know I but 2 ST3000DM001 into my Gen8.

When I buy the 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001, I was thinking to by the Red. But in the internet I readmany postings, thats a green with different firmware.

One WD Green was dead after 2 Weeks, there was a firmware error.

Until know, only one very old SAMSUNG HDD (80GB) died, in a hot summer. It was a system HDD with Windows XP.

Too have a backup HDD of another brand is maybe necessary?

Greetings

I have several WD Reds. They're like the Greens, but most of the issues fixed.

However, as Ikon as pointed out, they do fit the "bath tub" curve. Aka, they fail right away, or MUCH later in life.

There are a number of technology changes in the Reds that I believe separate them from the Greens. As I've posted a number of times, I haven't bought a Green drive in several years. I have found Greens to be too unreliable.

• Like 1