RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WD Red Messed up my HTPC

Joe_Miner

Newegg is showing the ST3000DM001 with a 2 year wwarrenty but the WD30EFRX does beat that with a 3 year Warrenty.

I consider the ST3000DM001's performance more than marginally better than the WD30EFRX though so it does make the tradeoff more interesting.....

clip_image0121.jpgclip_image013.jpg

• 1 month later...

Haven't been in the BIOS yet -- suspect there will be a message in there that says "better dead than Red"

I'll be checking it soon for sure -- probably should just go ahead and flash and update to be safe.

So, when I RMA this piece of crap do you think WD would send me a Seagate? :)

And make things worse? ;)

Personally, while it appears ImTheTypeOfGuy has had issues with WD drives, I've had more than my share with Seagate in recent history -which is sad, considering my first IDE hard drive was a 106MB ST3120A that I was very happy with (and who would EVER fill a 100MB hard drive? :D) and I also owned the first 5400rpm IDE hard drive on the market, a 2.1GB Seagate model which was also the largest on the market at the time I got it.

I've had far better luck with WD in the past several years (starting around the time Seagate's 7200.11 line came out), and their RMA policy is the last to not charge for advanced-replacement, giving me a chance for file recovery.  Note --when building an HTPC, my philosophy is to have enough hard disk for the OS and apps, with a little left over --my video and other media stay on the server (where they're safe) and get streamed.  These days, unmanaged gig switches like Netgear's ProSafe models are cheap enough that transfer is plenty fast.

EDIT:  I should also mention, I've stayed away from WD's Green drives.  While I've liked the Blacks and the `Raptors, and have had two Reds running for about four months now without a hitch, at least several models (possibly lines?) in the Green line have a checkered history.  I look at the Reds as WD's attempt to cure this for people who have higher expectations, but we'll have to see how things go in the long run.

Edited by LoneWolf

• 1 month later...

To resurrect a slightly older thread.  I bought 2 WD Reds (3TB) about 1 month ago.  I finally got a chance to install them and 1 of them is dead right out of the box.

RMA already filed and the drive is boxed up to ship out monday. 

I had 1 DOA too. SpinRite said it was unusable. RMA'd it of course. Haven't had a second one. It's weird, like WD just doesn't bother doing any QA on them.

Have 8 running in my RAID 6 array. Bought 2 others to have as backups or else can use in other systems. Have been one of the fortunate ones - running great.

To resurrect a slightly older thread.  I bought 2 WD Reds (3TB) about 1 month ago.  I finally got a chance to install them and 1 of them is dead right out of the box.

RMA already filed and the drive is boxed up to ship out monday. 

Sorry to hear about your Red -- hope it's replacement will be healthy and up and running soon!

It's odd. if you get a bad Red, it seems to be bad right from the start. Otherwise, they seem to run perfectly. Unfortunately, they haven't been around long enough to really have a feel for their long term viability/robustness.