RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WD Red Messed up my HTPC

Joe_Miner

I think it's a bit more than that. I've noticed that the Reds have noticeably less vibration than just about any other drive I've used, presumably because of the dynamic load balancing.

I completely agree about the RE drives. I'm running 4x2TB RE4 drives as my main data pool in my WHS2011.

What? No drive I have ever used had noticable vibration. Do you have a machine to measure this?

If the Reds are just rebadged Greens, WD will be pulling a fast one on us. They definitely changed the specs on the Reds as they're now designed for 24/7 operation, with slightly faster I/O, has higher MTBF, can handle twice the load/unload cycles, longer warranty, etc. In short, it should be overall a more reliable drive than the Greens.

What? No drive I have ever used had noticable vibration. Do you have a machine to measure this?

You can't feel the vibration when holding a drive, or hear it? Granted, newer generations of drives have far less than previous ones, but they still have some, especially when they mounted in groups in a chassis. The Reds are designed to dynamically compensate for the vibration, in real time. I've noticed a difference in the 6 or so Reds I used.

You can't feel the vibration when holding a drive, or hear it? Granted, newer generations of drives have far less than previous ones, but they still have some, especially when they mounted in groups in a chassis. The Reds are designed to dynamically compensate for the vibration, in real time. I've noticed a difference in the 6 or so Reds I used.

So if you can't feel the vibration when holding, how did you notice a difference? I believe you are a WD fan but not even the one green drive I owned (bought a pc from pcdoc so it isn't my fault) vibrated. I assure you no drive I have ever bought (Hitachi, Seagate, and Samsung) vibrated to a level that a human could detect with out sophisticated machinery.

You misread. I asked you if you can feel the vibration. I certainly can feel the vibration of every drive I pick up while it's running. It's a subtle 'tingling' feeling in my palm (NO bad jokes or puns here please). Try lightly touching your fingertips to a drive cage that has several running drives in it; the vibration is even stronger, I believe due to harmonics.

Better yet....YELL at the drive!

Tingling feeling.......I like that. Did you hear about the..........never mind.

My replacement drive arrived today via 2nd day Air. I had RMA's it on the 1st, it was processed on the 7th, and I got it today. Attached it to the Z77 with an Icy Dock USB 3.0 Toaster and it initialized and formatted as smooth as silk. Didn't make any noise at all when powered up. ATTO show's it better than a 3TB Green but less than an ST3000DM001.

Thank you Western Digital.

I thought I'd post the performance Charts for WD Red that was shipped to me by WD to replace the one that had arrived DOA.

gallery_1229_39_40234.jpggallery_1229_39_47225.jpg

Does the ST3000DM001 still have a 1-yr warranty? Last year, Seagate and WD reduced their warranties on almost all their HDD offerings (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/12/16/seagate_cutting_warranties/). It says there that the Barracuda line, with the exception of the BarracudaXT, will only have a 1-yr warranty.

At least in that respect, the 3TB WD Red wins with a warranty of 3 yrs, and should more than make up for the marginally lower performance compared to the ST3000DM001.