RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WD Red Messed up my HTPC

Joe_Miner

What else did you have planned for today? Go ahead...admit it!

If you are lucky they will. I have 16 Seagates running great.

Probably, but only after WD acquires Seagate. :D

Every drive vendor has their issues, personally I have avoided Seagate due to failures and other philosophical differences.

Oddly, Hitachi, Toshiba and Samsung have been the most reliable for me, zero failures.

Five years ago Google did a in depth study on drive failures;

http://static.googleusercontent.com/external_content/untrusted_dlcp/research.google.com/en/us/archive/disk_failures.pdf

So, when I RMA this piece of crap do you think WD would send me a Seagate? :)

I will say this John, I currently have 16 WD drives (7 in my WHS 2011) in service in our house. I have had one go bad over the years. They have the best RMA process in the biz. The one RMA I had, they sent me a newer and larger drive. The defective one was over two years old.

Yeah. I get one like this once in a while regardless of the manufacturer. Sometimes just DOA. I look at any hard disk as a crap shoot for the last several years. I hope this doesn't sour you on the Reds though. I have had several in production for the last several months without issue. I would rather have it DOA rather than failing after short time after use. But to have a bad drive blow up your computer like that? By the way I wonder how many months it takes Spinrite to run on a 3 terabyte drive?

Yeah. I get one like this once in a while regardless of the manufacturer. Sometimes just DOA. I look at any hard disk as a crap shoot for the last several years.

One of the reasons I do run SpinRite.

By the way I wonder how many months it takes Spinrite to run on a 3 terabyte drive?

Based on 2TB times being around 10 days, I'm guessing 3TB will take about 15. That's a long time, I know, but it's simply a matter of having a few spares around and planning ahead a bit ;) I mitigate the time issue to some extent by having a computer running 4 copies of SpinRite, each in its own VM.

Probably, but only after WD acquires Seagate. :D

Or after Seagate acquires WD. :P

I will say this John, I currently have 16 WD drives (7 in my WHS 2011) in service in our house. I have had one go bad over the years. They have the best RMA process in the biz. The one RMA I had, they sent me a newer and larger drive. The defective one was over two years old.

Count yourself lucky. They only ever send me back the same drive.

Personally, I don't feel the brand really matters anymore. They are all about the same quality anymore. The big thing anymore is function and warranty length. Seagate, WD. Whatever... holds my 10TBs of data. Right?

Or after Seagate acquires WD. :P

That'll never happen. B)

Actually, given that the 2 companies are almost the same size, it's a tossup.

I'd have the Seagate if their RMA procedures were easier.

I've got the RMA center for WD just a block away from where I work. Claimed a failing (read: it hasn't failed yet) 2TB WD30EARS Green drive and promptly got a replacement two days later.

Recently bought 3x 3TB Reds and so far they're holding up at 100% health. I have Hard Disk Sentinel looking after all my server drives.

I've had the best luck with Western Digital drives overall, but the greens are some of the worst I have ever used or sold...

The RE series drives are pricey but top notch. They are now my go-to drives for servers or high-end workstations.

I had high hopes for the red drives, but it seems to me they are just re-branded green drives with the TLER and a few other features

turned on.

• Like 1

I had high hopes for the red drives, but it seems to me they are just re-branded green drives with the TLER and a few other features

turned on.

I think it's a bit more than that. I've noticed that the Reds have noticeably less vibration than just about any other drive I've used, presumably because of the dynamic load balancing.

I completely agree about the RE drives. I'm running 4x2TB RE4 drives as my main data pool in my WHS2011.