RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Any way to force on screen keyboard in Windows 8 on non-touchscreen

mar2k

I got a new Logitech T650 touchpad (like the Apple Magic Trackpad) and I'm really liking this with Windows 8, so much so that I'm thinking about getting a 2nd one for my new HTPC in the living room. Not sure with all the emphasis on touch why Microsoft is not selling one of these themselves. Swiping in open apps and the charms bar on a regular desktop is nice, plus there is a 3 finger gesture that brings up the Start screen that is immensely useful.

Not sure if this is possible but does anyone know of a way to force the on screen keyboard to pop up whenever you tap on a text box on a non-touch device? If I had a way to bring up an on screen keyboard I could put the touchpad in the living room and when I need to bring up a search box on say, the Netflix app, and the on screen keyboard come up this would be a way to do a search without a remote. Not ideal, but just to search for something for the kids it would sure beat breaking out a keyboard.

Edited by mar2k

Yes, that's the issue. I want it to act like a mobile touchscreen device in the Metro/Modern UI, automatically coming up whenever a text field is tapped on. I haven't found a setting for it.

Edited by mar2k

It sounds like mar2k wants to be able to click into any text box on the screen and have the OSK come up automatically. I suspect the problem is that Win8 identifies the device as non-touch-enabled, so it doesn't display the OSK all the time.

Seems to me, the trick would be to find a setting that tells Win8 the device is touch-enabled, to override the automatic detection setting. Most likely it would be a Registry setting, but that's not 100% certain.

I concur. I was trying to find a way to enable touch in Windows 8, but I think the registry may be the only route.

On another note, I got to use 'concur' in a sentence. ;)

I was hoping for a "Force Tablet Mode" checkbox and setting I guess. Unfortunately it does not look like this is available. I can see a use case for this for people doing demos and presentations on non-touch devices to demo touch features etc. Hopefully something they would consider adding. While I am comfortable editing the registry, I wouldn't know where to begin to try to hack this. Disappointing, since I thought this was a way for me to use the HTPC in the Metro/Modern UI apps sans keyboard.

Nope. The only way that stuff appears is if there is a touch point or pen point detected. So no touch screen means no "keyboard" box for text inputs. :(

Nope. The only way that stuff appears is if there is a touch point or pen point detected. So no touch screen means no "keyboard" box for text inputs. :(

I suspect he was hoping that clicking the mouse inside a text box would do the same as touching inside it. To be honest I'm not certain that it won't work that way. i'm going to check it out when I get my new Surface Pro.

I'm aware of what he was asking for. I've been using a HP TouchSmart tm2 tablet for a few years... and I've been running windows 8 on it for a while. The "touch input" box only appears for the pen and touch inputs. As soon as you use the mouse, they disappear. :(