RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Win8 Notebook For The Wife With Touchscreen

awraynor

Got a great deal on a 13" Macbook Pro for the wife and even she was underwhelmed. To be a Corei5 I saw the spinning beachball a lot. She is not a poweruser, 14-15" is fine, prefer to stay $750 and under, any recommendations? Given many are Core i3 will it be that much worse than an i5?

Decided to go with this one. Pretty peppy for a Core i3, not too heavy given the 15.6" screen. After you have a touchscreen

you won't to poke the monitor on anything that doesn't. Best Buy was really pushing the 30 Day no questions return policy,

price matching and didn't even ask about extended warranty. Hopefully they haven't learned their lesson too late.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Acer+-+Aspire+15.6%26%2334%3B+Laptop+-+4GB+Memory+-+500GB+Hard+Drive+-+Silky+Silver/7239393.p?id=1218837060800&skuId=7239393

So messed around with it and decided to restore it to factory settings for a nice clean install and setup. It's been over 2 hours and only at 27%!

Do yourself and wife a big favor and look a deal on an SSD with a virgin install. An SSD on a Windows 8 machine like this will be awesome.

• Like 1

I agree with pcdoc; an SSD in a tablet is almost mandatory IMHO. Tablets, especially with Win8, are supposed to be about Instant On. An SSD has to help with that.

• Like 1

To be honest this is a quite generic budget laptop with Corei3, 4GB RAM and 500GB spindle drive.

I can't believe just how quick this thing is, I can't stand to use a non-touchscreen laptop anymore.

Everything else I have is SSD, but given I have to fix $400 more worth of door locks on my car after

spending $400 on the first two just 6 weeks ago and buy a new set of tires for my wife's van it may

have to wait just a little.