RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Backup Error

Mr Bill

Good day,
I purchased an new netbook for Christmas, HP Mini 311 with XP on it. The first thing that I did was do a manual backup of this to my EX485. Then I changed the partition size and made the unit dual boot with XP and Win7. The backups on the Win7 boot-up work fine, but if I boot up to XP, it will not back up. I get the following error message;
The backup failed because the volume is currently missing. The event log on the server contains volume name.
This is the only thing that I can see in any of the event logs on the server;
3/27/2010 1:20:33 PM HomeServer Information Backup 259 N/A MY-SERVER Backup set 13 for MINI-311-XP has finished.
3/27/2010 1:20:33 PM HomeServer Information Backup 258 N/A MY-SERVER Backup set 13 for MINI-311-XP has started.
3/27/2010 1:19:38 PM HomeServer Information Backup 259 N/A MY-SERVER Backup set 12 for MINI-311-XP has finished.
3/27/2010 1:19:36 PM HomeServer Information Backup 258 N/A MY-SERVER Backup set 12 for MINI-311-XP has started.

These entries were under Event Viewer (Local), HomeServer.
There are no error messages relating to backups.

Thanks for any support that you can provide.

Seems like WHS is expecting the partition size first associated with your XP computer, which of course it is not. Right? The way I'd look at this is that WHS backs up the Win7 computer without a problem, so make sure your Win 7 backup configuration includes all drives (which would include the XP partition). Then, shut off backups for the XP computer in WHS console, and simply restore your XP partition from the Win 7 backup should the need ever arise.

You don't have the same computer name on both, do you? You probably will confuse it if you do. One thing I will say is if you are having trouble, just run the backup wizard again to set it up. That should reset it.

Yes, I do have the same computer name for both of them.
I ran the backup wizard and it detected the old C: drive configuration and also the new C: drive configuration. When it asked what I wished to backup, I selected the new C: drive configuration and it is backing up properly at this time.

All is well.
Thanks for all of the input, now on to the 3.0 upgrade!

You might want to change names then. How else will you know which system you are restoring?

No, I'm saying that when dual-booting, each "boot" should have a different computer name, to avoid problems like the one you are facing.

Sorry, I was a little slow on that. Yes each has it's own name.
MINI-311-WIN7 and MINI-311-XP
I agree, it would be to confusing.