RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
g725s

what direction should I take with N40L?

g725s

I bought my N40L right when it came out in 2011 for 259.00 and it included WHS 2011, a pretty good deal IMO. But then because of the ongoing recession effect on finances I can't just go out and buy all the drives I would like. I'm hoping over the next 3 to 5 months I could purchase them as funds for my hobby here become available and build this box up slowly.

But I hate to see this box sit as it has. All I've been able to do is put a 1tb drive in it with the original 250 for the OS. The intention was to serve currently one HTPC for the familys movie, music, and recorded TV, collection. I had other external drives I was using before and have roughly 6tb of media on these. But they are all somewhat small about 750gb to 1.5tb each.

I was thinking that maybe I should put 4tb drives in. I bought an external 4tb just the other day that I was thinking of breaking out of the enclosure and putting in the N40L. But I'm not sure about this because of cost if a drive fails. Joe M. mentioned the 2tb backup limitation of WHS 2011 and that got me thinking of going with 2tb's, and the fact they'd be cheaper to replace.

I want some sort of redundancy and was thinking of using something like FlexRAID with parity. So if a drive failed at least I could maybe rebuild and recover without having to re-rip the media. And I read here that more are probably into DrivePool but I don't know much about that yet.

I've got a major CD music collection in flac that took months to put to disc, and don't want to go through that again. I've got a family member that would like me to put to disk their music collection, a huge one, and that would take at least another 2 to 3tb of space I'm guessing. And I've got more DVD and BluRays to rip to disc, and more recorded TV to come, so more space needed.

I've read about some attaching external NAS like setups to the eSATA. I've flashed my BIOS via the DieHard thread so I'd be good to go there if that would be a good way to expand.

Also my 250gb OS drive is in the first slot. I'd like to move that to the ODD bay and SATA. How to move that seeing that I've already setup the N40L with it in its original slot? Anything special I'd need to do so I'd not have to reinstall?

But I have all these separate drives with my media collection. Would love to have everything based off the N40L and WHS 2011 linked to a desktop, laptop, and the HTPC (all running Windows 7), oh, and one Mac. What to do?

Edited by g725s

Joe_Miner

-snip-

Also my 250gb OS drive is in the first slot. I'd like to move that to the ODD bay and SATA. How to move that seeing that I've already setup the N40L with it in its original slot? Anything special I'd need to do so I'd not have to reinstall?

-snip-

That should be no problem to move from one drive bay to another -- worst case you may have to go into BIOS and change the 1st drive it looks at for boot (which I've had to do a few times -- no big issue there). Look at some of the old video's Jim Collison, Dieharder, and others (HSS & Average Guy TV).

jsox

"I want some sort of redundancy and was thinking of using something like FlexRAID with parity."

I bought an NL40 and WHS2011 a month ago and everything is still in boxes. I hope to use some time off the next week or so to set up a WHS2011 system. My goal is to eventually retire the WHS V1 I've been running for years. After some experiments with a smart NAS I am convinced that (for me at least) I want to run a server for a while yet. Initially I'll set up the NL40 with one 1.5T and one 2T drives that I happen to have, and use the included-with-purchase 250G drive as the OS drive. Eventually I intend to move the OS to a 2.5" drive off the eSata port and populate all 4 internal slots with 3T drives (Iam waiting waiting for a good sale on WD reds or Seagate 3T drives). But that's later.

I considered the question of redundancy I decided that StableBit DrivePool was a good choice for me. One thing I really like is the idea that with DrivePool a physical drive can be used for "pooled storage" (including turning on the redundancy flag to have a second copy on a different physical drive) and also for non-pool purposes (e.g. backing up the OS drive). If you haven't considered DrivePool you might want to give it a look.

diehard

I have used Stablebit's drive pool addin and recommend it. Your making good choices. WHS2011 is a lot easier to switch out the system drive. If your D partition is on the system drive, it is a simple wizard to move the folder to an other drive. Then you can backup the OS, do a server recovery to the new OS drive.

LoneWolf

One other option: If you want RAID without sacrificing CPU usage, a hardware PCIe RAID controller that uses MiniSAS connectors will be compatible with the connector used by the backplane of the Microserver.

HP's Smart Array P212 and P410 controllers are compatible, as are several models from Adaptec and one from SuperMicro that I've all heard of being used. If mirroring is all you want, you can use the onboard controller of the Microserver for RAID-1 without sacrificing too much, but for RAID-5, I recommend a real controller.

Finally, if you run Windows Server 2012 Essentials, you can use its functions to do a soft-RAID, or use Storage Spaces and then do folder duplication to keep what you want redundant. In my case, I decided I wanted hardware RAID, so I've gone that route instead.