RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

How long will you continue to use WHS 2011 ?

g725s

Agreed. I was only trying to say that, if WHS2011 is doing everything you need and you're not looking for any new features (other than GPT support of course), then perhaps security updates are all you need, even past 2016. I'm not saying anyone would keep it until 2025 but another 5 years is certainly feasible IMHO.

• Like 1

Agreed. I was only trying to say that, if WHS2011 is doing everything you need and you're not looking for any new features (other than GPT support of course), then perhaps security updates are all you need, even past 2016. I'm not saying anyone would keep it until 2025 but another 5 years is certainly feasible IMHO.

Definitely. I'm sure Microsoft will support it until 2016 easily. That's only three years away and Windows Server 2008 R2 is pretty popular in businesses. Since WHS 2011 is really just a customized version of 2008 R2--notice your Windows Updates are almost all for 2008 R2, not WHS specifically. And so I can easily see WHS 2011 support sticking around until 2016, if not 2017 or 2018. I think 2025 is pushing it. ;)

With regards to this particular platform, as long as the OS is patched and you leave the registry pretty much in-tact (read...do stupid stuff for the sake of convenience), you should be okay.

And I find it intriguing that on the Microsoft Connect forum for WHS 2011, there are a number of open items that refer to a "UEFI hotfix"... Something is being tested.

And I find it intriguing that on the Microsoft Connect forum for WHS 2011, there are a number of open items that refer to a "UEFI hotfix"... Something is being tested.

Got my fingers crossed. It would certainly extend the life expectancy of WHS2011.

you will be getting a surprise soon.

I think we can conclude UEFI will be supported soon. The writing is there.

The big thing is GPT support. Future Client OS' are going to demand GPT. If WHS2011 doesn't get GPT support, it won't be able to do bare metal restores of these new OS'.

The big thing is GPT support. Future Client OS' are going to demand GPT. If WHS2011 doesn't get GPT support, it won't be able to do bare metal restores of these new OS'.

I can neither confirm nor deny such rumors. :)

Neither can DieHard or anyone else under NDA. officially.