RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

How long will you continue to use WHS 2011 ?

g725s

Okay, call me a skeptic, but why would M$ roll out out a big update to an OS they are no longer going to support?

Are you doubting the almighty diehard? Oh ye of little faith. Say 3 Hail Marys and 10 "I trust in the diehard"s. B)

I bailed on WHS 2011 and went to 2012 Essentials. The latter offers some additional flexibility plus it includes Active Directory, which makes managing user accounts better. Overall 2012 Essentials feels like a more complete package.

I did abandon the Storage Spaces on Essentials, however, due to the volume dropping offline from time to time. I don't think SS takes well to a mix of 7200 and 5400 RPM drives, especially when some of those 5400s are connected via USB 2.0, which makes them function even slower. Disabling VSS helped, but drop-offs still occurred.

I went back to Drive Bender, which always worked with my configuration in WHS 2011, so I trust it will continue to work in 2012 Essentials.

Okay, call me a skeptic, but why would M$ roll out out a big update to an OS they are no longer going to support?

Of course they should support it. It just changed status to end of sale. End of life will come in 2016.

Of course they should support it. It just changed status to end of sale. End of life will come in 2016.

Perhaps, but MS has declined to add new features to other products in the past because they have a newer product with the feature. If MS actually does add GPT support to WHS2011 I think many of us will be pleasantly surprised.

Umm... why do I have to keep on repeating this: Where has MIcrosoft EVER SAID that they will be dropping support for WHS2011? Please. Link me.

Don't link me to articles saying that there will not be a next version of WHS. That is not a same thing. AT ALL.

End of mainstream support for WHS2011 is 2015. That means it will be supported until them. And more importantly, since SBS2011E shares the same code as WHS2011, it means that Microsoft is OBLIGATED to update it and fix issues. And that those fixes will be for WHS as well as SBS2011E.

Also, I use SBS2011E, for the same reasons stated above. It's basically the same as 2012 Essentials.

And as for GPT support.. all i'm going to say is that WHS2011/SBS2011E is supposed to officially support Windows 8, right? and that to get Windows 8 Logo certification, the system disk must be GPT...

And MS has officially stated that WHS2011 will be available to the OEM channel until 2025. Personally, I think that's really extreme but, unless MS recants that statement, it means they will have to provide some support for it until 2025.