RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

3 TB drive issues

CrazyPhil

Hey,

I recently picked up a 3 tb drive only to find that I can't use it in WHS v1...so I'm going to scrap my setup and pull everything out.

Unfortunately I have 4 TB full (2x2 tb drives) in the drive pools and I want to use the 3 tb to move everything out (If I pull a drive out of the drive pool it deletes the data right?).

So anyways I formatted my 3 tb on another computer as two partitions (~990 GB, ~1.7 TB), and dropped it back in the my WHS box and started moving files....all was well until suddenly a partition became unformatted and folders became corrupt (after moving like 2 tb!).

Is this a drive issue or specifically due to the incompatibilities of the OS? How can I get my data out?

The drive is formatted GPT.

Thanks,

--CP

It's a home built rig, no issues till this drive.

I checked that article but it seems to be more focused on using in the pool. I just want to use it to backup the data, and then I'll rebuild the box on a newer os.

The odd thing is the drive has been working, but after packing in so much data it started to fail and drop the partitions and corrupt the data. I had full access to it's size in WHS, though I've heard of alot of DOA or defective WD Red's and was wondering if the issue I'm getting stems from the WHS incompatibility or an actual drive issue (why would it work fine for the last few days I was copying things, I even checked CRC's and the copying was working fine)?

Thanks,

--CP

There is a WD utility that can be used to check the drive on another system to see if it detects a problem. Or, the tool recommended on these forums for checking drives for problems is Spinrite.

You might want to use a utility to check the drive to see if it does have a problem.

I only copied the data to the drive, I never removed it from WHS, so the data is fine. I won't delete till I confirm everything has been moved without error.

Ikon meant he is suspect about that drive remaining reliably working. Don't depend on that one drive with the only copy of your data.

cskenny is right. If the data on your WHS is your only copy, it is in grave danger. If your data is in any way important, you need to have 3 copies of it, 1 of them offsite. What I always recommend people do is ask themselves how they would feel if they got up tomorrow morning and found out all their data is gone. That should give you a good idea of how important your data is to you.

BTW, I never put any drive into production until it has been SpinRited.

Does Spinrite work on 3 tb though? I can't even seem to find a Western Digital diagnostic tool for the WD30EFRX...

Edited by CrazyPhil