RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

D: Drive space running low message

mailman1988

On a homebuilt V1.

I have 2 HD, 500 Primary, and 1T 2nd drive.

History: My 1T was giving errors so I performed a "Remove Drive", the system successfully moved the data, I then removed the defective 1T and installed a new 1T, which I "Added" to the pool. No problems.

"My Computer" reports c: & d: Where D: is 445G and has 512G Free.

However, I am getting constant messages that "D:" is running out of space.

Opened up "Defragmenter" just to see the individual drives.

d:446g with 8.93g Free

Data 932g with 504g Free

So why is d: reporting low on space (which I see it is) but shouldn't DE be handling all this?

Do I have an underlying problem?

Maybe I need to back up and re-install?

Thanks

No, WHSv1's DE does not balance your data per se. When a drive is added to the pool, that drive will start to get all the new data. If you add an other drive while the previous drive is not maxed out, the new drive gets the data, and so on and so on. This reduces wear on the drives.

Data is only equalised across drives if you turn on duplication, then only that data that's being duplicated is spread evenly across the remaining drives.

You can download and run a 3rd party app called Drive Balancer that will spread an equal % of data across all the drives. http://homeserversho...er-utility.html

Download http://forum.wegotse...&attach_id=2089

It's probably in the links that diehard posted, but just to reinforce that Drive Balancer with extreme caution. I tried it once and it almost destroyed my Data Pool. IMHO, it's not worth the small benefit.

Considering I helped create the first thing that started that program (padding the D:\ drive with empty files, so DE would migrate data off of it)... If data got destroyed... it's was more likely due to issues with Drive Extender than anything else. I can't be 100% about that... but that really really should not have happened.

I guess what I don't understand is why I never saw this problem reported before. That is, "D: running out of space" error message. It never happend on any of my other V1 install's.

Maybe the drive failure and re-install created an issue.?

Considering I helped create the first thing that started that program (padding the D:\ drive with empty files, so DE would migrate data off of it)... If data got destroyed... it's was more likely due to issues with Drive Extender than anything else. I can't be 100% about that... but that really really should not have happened.

I didn't actually lose data. I stopped the procedure before that happened. Mind you, I had backups, so I wouldn't have permanently lost anything anyway.

I guess what I don't understand is why I never saw this problem reported before. That is, "D: running out of space" error message. It never happend on any of my other V1 install's.

Maybe the drive failure and re-install created an issue.?

Removing the drive is probably what caused it. When it moved all the data off, it probably filled the D:\ drive, and hasn't yet migrated it off.

I didn't actually lose data. I stopped the procedure before that happened. Mind you, I had backups, so I wouldn't have permanently lost anything anyway.

Then I'm not sure how you almost destroyed the pool.

Then I'm not sure how you almost destroyed the pool.

I started getting drive space errors. When I checked the drives, space was critically low. If it had continued I was worried that writes would begin to fail and data would get corrupted.

I decided I couldn't chance it any longer and terminated the procedure. I said 'almost' because I couldn't be sure that the pool would be destroyed, but it wasn't looking good.