RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Microserver N40L - New Setup & Advice

craigblues

I took a look seems like a nice setup, taking HDDs out every morning and taking them offsite and bringing other HDDs back is quite extreme / dedicated...

So RoboCopy works best for yourself then, I think its going to be a trial and error thing for me a little.

I wouldn't call it extreme. And I'm not saying the disks are taken offsite and replaced every single day; I do miss a day here and there. The offsite sets are exchanged most days of the week though.

Here's what you need to ask yourself: how would I feel if I got up tomorrow morning and found all my data had disappeared irretrievably? Use that to help you decide what kind, and how much, backup you need.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmwills

• ikon

• Joe_Miner

• craigblues

I wouldn't call it extreme. And I'm not saying the disks are taken offsite and replaced every single day; I do miss a day here and there. The offsite sets are exchanged most days of the week though.

Here's what you need to ask yourself: how would I feel if I got up tomorrow morning and found all my data had disappeared irretrievably? Use that to help you decide what kind, and how much, backup you need.

Fair comment, its definately dedication. I have not used it myself but would a cloud based backup not be better for yourself, it would save you in petrol/diesel. :-)

I've tried to find RoboCopy but can't seem to find it, would everyone consider this the best one to use if using 3TBs.

I would also suggest that when you first set-up WHS-2011 on you MicroServer that you don’t activate your OS right away and just “play” with the features of WHS-2011 for a couple of weeks to get some ideas on how you really want to set things up and test things out (back up a client then restore it, back up the server OS and do a restore, try things out you wouldn’t try if you had critical data on the Server, this is the time to TRY to break things & kick the tires) – THEN do a fresh install of WHS-2011 and set it up the way that’s best for you.

What if you registrer, is there a problem with MS and registration if you want to change your configuration later?

I haven't had a problem but if you can avoid activation as long as possible it gives you free reign to test things out and try different configurations without worry of potentially having to call MicroSoft about activation.

Fair enough. I'll be honest as above, I have no knowledge of WHS 2011 so hopefully a friend will assit me but what exactly will I need to play around with for 2 weeks, surely there aren't that many setting differences for my needs.

Fair comment, its definately dedication. I have not used it myself but would a cloud based backup not be better for yourself, it would save you in petrol/diesel. :-)

There are a couple of reasons I don't do this:

1. I have about 3 TB of data. That's a lot to back up over the internet. I'd also have to find a host service that will allow that much data;
  2. I am subject to bandwidth caps. If I tried to backup using my internet connection I would blow my cap every month.

BTW, my offsite location is one we go to anyway, so there's zero wasted gas.

I've tried to find RoboCopy but can't seem to find it, would everyone consider this the best one to use if using 3TBs.

As jmwills said, RoboCopy is included in every version of Windows released after XP. Simply open a CMD window and type RoboCopy :)

Luckily in the UK, I'm not limited to Bandwidth on my connection.

I've ordered all the cables needed and accessories, except HDDs now. I will order those this week. I'm looking forward to this, nice little project.

I'm worried if I am doing the right thing now really... Or if I'm going over board. I suppose you can never have too much storage space.

As I plan on backing up the iMac on an external USB drive I have, most likely as a CarbonCopy, then time machine it to my current ReadyNAS which has a 1.5TB drive, which then mirrors it on to the second 1.5TB drive also inside. Then I was going to use the microserver for my files and backup of that, to attempt to keep as many files off my iMac as possible to keep up speeds and keep clutter free. But I am now asking myself is a microserver over the top for this, as not sure what else I could do with the microserver that will benefit me (well doesn't help that I don't know its potential really).

As far as storage is concerned, it's like the old saying: "You can't be too thin or have too much storage." :D

The MicroServer has a lot of potential, but it may or may not fit your situation. One use to consider is as a file server/streamer for video to your TV/Home Theater.