RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WS2012E - formatted server backup drive. Backups still listed?

Jason

Hi - was hoping someone might be able to assist. I was experiencing some odd, inconsistent behavior with server backups of my WS2012e box. Client backups were fine.

I then disabled the server backup and formatted the server backup external HDD and added it back to the machine as the server backup destination. The server backup completes successfully, however when I view server backup properties it still lists past backups that should've been deleted when the drive was formatted.

How can I reset this without reinstalling the OS?

Thanks and happy belated holiday!

1. From the dashboard, removed the server backup schedule and removed the old hard drive from the backup pool
  2. Remote desktop into the server and opened a command prompt
  3. Type the command "wbadmin delete catalog"
  4. All server backup history purged from the catalog.
  5. Install new HDD and configure server backups
  6. Reformat old HDD

<Courtesy of an old thread.>

And I believe this only works when you exchange the drives as setting up a new backup location is the key to clearing that GUI.

• Like 1

1. From the dashboard, removed the server backup schedule and removed the old hard drive from the backup pool
  2. Remote desktop into the server and opened a command prompt
  3. Type the command "wbadmin delete catalog"
  4. All server backup history purged from the catalog.
  5. Install new HDD and configure server backups
  6. Reformat old HDD

<Courtesy of an old thread.>

And I believe this only works when you exchange the drives as setting up a new backup location is the key to clearing that GUI.

Thanks again jmwillis. As it turns out, there should be a step inserted after #3 above (wbadmin delete catalog) to also clear the Event Log events under: Services\Microsoft\Windows\Backup\Operational

Otherwise, despite deleting the catalog or even formatting the contents of the external HDD, the residual server backup entries will still be listed until the events are cleared.

Edited by Jason

That would be under:

Services>Applications and Services>Microsoft>Windows>Operational>Clear Log(Action)

and that will certainly do the trick. The backup status for the server will change to "Not Set Up".

This gets me thinking about a post where someone was has issues about swapping out USB drives. Put this into a script (batch file) and this might eliminate those issues.

Personally, I don't backup the server since it is virtual. All I need is a clean .vhdx file to get going again.

Am running a few tests, but believe my old WD MyBook 1 TB USB 2.0 external HDD may be failing causing my WS2012E server backup to lockup/fail. I've since taken this drive offline and replaced with a WD MyBook 3 TB USB 3.0 external HDD. Although overkill, I'd like to let this run for a few days to determine whether the destination drive (1 TB) was the root cause. I'll then snag either a small USB 3.0 HDD HDD and retire the USB 2.0 device or replace w/ another external HDD. More to follow.