RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Is it legal to give away my add-ins for free

Don W

I recently switched to using my new Synology DS 1812 and no longer use my WHS 2011 and have paid for Lights Out and DriveBender and was going to give them away for free and am wondering if anyone (1 person) would like the registration codes??

Let me know

Edited by donwieber

Well I was not going to go through the hassle of finding out, but if someone wants them and wants to do the research for free the software they can an let me know. Any takers???

You'd want to check the EULA or FAQs.

At least for Drive Bender, you can release the license from your existing hardware so it can be transferred to a new one. Or in this case, a new owner. The action of releasing and re-activating the license key pretty much prevents it from being abused so I don't see any problem doing so from both technical and legal aspects. One caveat though. The key code may have already been associated with the original owner's email and this fact may have an effect if the new owner opens up a support request in the future. I guess that some arrangement to change the associated email has to be made prior to the transfer.

You'd want to check the EULA or FAQs.

At least for Drive Bender, you can release the license from your existing hardware so it can be transferred to a new one. Or in this case, a new owner. The action of releasing and re-activating the license key pretty much prevents it from being abused so I don't see any problem doing so from both technical and legal aspects. One caveat though. The key code may have already been associated with the original owner's email and this fact may have an effect if the new owner opens up a support request in the future. I guess that some arrangement to change the associated email has to be made prior to the transfer.

Exactly. Most EULA's specifically forbid selling or transferring to a new owner. IOW, in this case, you most likely are permitted to move the software from one of your computers to another of your computers, but not to another person. However, indeed, checking the EULA is the way to go.