g725s

Installing MSE in WHS 2011 from command prompt

oj88

I.T., being somewhat my line of work, I've seen misbehaving AV/Security apps wreck havoc with servers. It has to do with the AV's ability to be application-aware. It may appear that MSE is not WHS-aware or even Drive Bender-aware. I'm not sure if this is the main cause in my case but that's the only likelihood I can think of.

But this paints the picture of the probability why MS didn't allow MSE to be installed on WHS in the first place. I mean, they had to have their reasons, right? Maybe this was it.

And oh, PRTG is a network monitoring tool that I've used for years (http://www.paessler.com/prtg).

Edited by oj88

ikon

Don't forget the other aspect. MSE is a free product from MS. They don't want enterprises using a free program when they can sell them one.

Personally, I think it's flawed logic. The enterprise products have distribution, monitoring, and maintenance features that MSE doesn't. I can't imagine any enterprise opting for the free version - it simply isn't cost effective - but I'm sure some would.

oj88

That's a good assessment. However, adding to the convolution is that WHS is not an enterprise product. It may have the DNA of such but it's heavily stripped down so much so that it has almost the same identity impairment of that of a neutered Doberman.

If I have it my way, MSE should support WHS2011. But, well....

ikon

I agree, it should support MSE. I think the problem is that WHS is built on a server product instead of a desktop product. That probably makes it hard for MS to prevent people from installing it on full enterprise servers.

oj88

In relation to the problems I had with MSE, here's the continuation of my efforts to get my server back to its previous state.

To recap, I encountered the following things when I uninstalled MSE due to it causing a BSOD:

1. The NetBIOS name got changed from "HOMESERVER" to "SERVER", preventing clients from seeing it without a reconfiguration

2. PRTG, a network monitoring tool I run inside WHS2011, stopped working

3. The server became listed as one of the client Computers in the WHS Dashboard. It used to have it's own category called Servers at the bottom

Resolution:

1 and 2. If I understood correctly, WHS is running the Certificate services so you cannot change the hostname. I followed the guide here (http://www.muratyildirimoglu.com/articles/changenameCertificateServer.htm) to change the hostname first to "HOME" then to "HOMESERVER". The reason I did this twice is so that the NetBIOS name syncs with the hostname. This cured these two problems

3. I uninstalled Update Rollup 4 and reinstalled the same in the hopes of refreshing the WHS Dashboard layout. It worked.

So now, my server appears to be working as before, but without MSE.

I got to get my hands on a good system backup software to work on top of the very limited Windows Server Backup.

gcoupe

As I wrote here,

Well, I tried this, but ran into a problem.

It installed without problem, and at first all seemed well. But then the Server Backups started having problems, and would fail. I was getting problems between the VSS and SQL Server (I run MyMovies).

I've given up and uninstalled MSE. Now the Server Backups are succeeding. I'll take my chances vis-a-vis viruses...

ikon

I got to get my hands on a good system backup software to work on top of the very limited Windows Server Backup.

What I'm doing now, and will be doing tomorrow morning, is to shut down the server, remove the OS drive, take it to another computer, and use Acronis True Image to back up the entire drive.

jmwills

Ahhh.....the beauty of running a VM!!

ChrisCowles

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to get an automatic prompt if MSE finds a problem? I understand that I'm suggesting a monitoring tool that comes with enterprise-level malware tolls, but maybe there's a registry that changes, and can be monitored.

jmwills

How adapt are you at scripting?  Everything is logged in a log somehwere so all you need to do is find that alert, create a schedule task and send the email.  I know it sounds easy but it should be possible.