g725s

Installing MSE in WHS 2011 from command prompt

diehard

I got this going on my WHSv1, working properly. I now have version 4.1.552.0

I was originally using MSE version 2.0.375.0 which did not do a OS version check.

oj88

Must try this when I get home. Up until now, I'm using Forefront Client Security with WHS2011.

Thatnks for this nice tip.

Drashna Jaelre

Definitely no on WS2012E...

@oj88: from what I've seen, there really isn't much difference between Forefront and MSE. But the version of MSE you can get running on WHS is much more up to date than FCS.

Mr_Smartepants

Isn't WS2012 based on the Win8 codebase? If so, then the MSSE-engine (Defender) is already built into WS2012.

You wouldn't be able to install MSSE on WS2012 for the same reasons you can't on Win8...it's already there (under a different name).

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/mse-protect_start/can-i-use-microsoft-security-essentials-with/34b26e6f-12a0-4bc7-b160-f3b2ff70b910

Edited by Mr_Smartepants

oj88

@oj88: from what I've seen, there really isn't much difference between Forefront and MSE. But the version of MSE you can get running on WHS is much more up to date than FCS.

Yes, and I'm hoping that newer=better is true in this case. The one thing I don't particularly like about FCS (not sure if this is just my perception) is that it eats up a lot of resource when it's doing its thing. With a system using MSE, you can hardly tell that it's there.

ikon

Did you know about it before this? Sorry it bothers you that I posted this.

It doesn't bother me at all. My statements were merely a reflection of reality. As I said above, "Thanks g725s. It's good to have the info actually posted on HSS." :)

oj88

Well, I'm back on Forefront Client Security.

Mpfilter.sys gave me a BSOD whenever I start my WHS2011 in normal mode. Removing MSE fixed it.

I guess MS after all had a valid reason for making the MSE installer incompatible with WHS.

ikon

Well, I'm back on Forefront Client Security.

Mpfilter.sys gave me a BSOD whenever I start my WHS2011 in normal mode. Removing MSE fixed it.

I guess MS after all had a valid reason for making the MSE installer incompatible with WHS.

This seems a little odd because others are saying they do have it working. Wonder what the situation is in your case?

oj88

This seems a little odd because others are saying they do have it working. Wonder what the situation is in your case?

Well, it was working for about a couple of weeks. Last night, I updated the MSE definition file which seemed to have installed successfully. Then I worked on updating Drive Bender which incidentally came out with a newer version. I think this is the first time I updated Drive Bender while using MSE. I've done the same half a dozen times before while still using FCS without so much as a hiccup. Little did I know that rebooting the server afterwards will turn out to be the longest night of my week.

I immediately started to get a BSOD right about the time the desktop should start to appear and in all cases, points to the Mpfilter.sys file. Research tells me that MSE is the culprit and in most articles I've read, removing or reinstalling it were the only viable solutions. I decided to do the former and just go back to FCS.

Well, as it turned out, removing MSE seemed to have broken WHS2011. I've observed the following symptoms:

1. My server is now listed under the Computers category in the WHS Dashboard, along with the list of client computers. It used to stand alone in its own category at the bottom

2. PRTG is acting all weird and has stopped certain functions. Particularly, the graphs stopped at exactly the time I initiated the first reboot

3. I had my server hostname set to "Homeserver" originally. After removing MSE, it is now seen on the network as "SERVER". Somehow, the hostname got reset to default. However, the server's hostname is still shown as "Homeserver" in Computer Properties and in the WHS Dashboard

Any ideas?

Edited by oj88

ikon

Not saying it's impossible of course, but that seems like a lot of issues to be caused by an AV app. I don't have any real ideas at the moment, but will post if I think of something.

BTW, remind me what PRTG is?