RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Time Traveller - Do you use it ? What are your comments ?

diehard

Hi Guys,

I would like to give Time Traveller some air time but I don't have much experience with it. Can you help me out ?

I would like to know about your experiences.

It's been suggested that this is the required way to use Shadow copies.

Thanks,

John.

I have been using it since December. With the updates after the holidays it has been working very well for me. I have played with it quite a bit and thought I posted on here about it, but I can't find it. It works very well and has some good features with when to create a version.

My only question is that of the size of the backup. Do the backups equal the size of the actual files and only grow larger with the revisions? Also, what is your backup interval set at and does it save to a "time traveler" folder on the shares, or how is that accomplished? Seems like a good price for the product, but after listening to the podcast I am concerned it may create problems?

• 3 months later...

Love the show guys, I've only been using WHS for 6 months and am at a loss as to how I survived without it.

I use Time Traveler V1.51 and so far it only picking up a handful of my folders. I have opened a file in a folder 2 levels from root, changed text in it, saved it and still no rollback created. I open the same file again.. add some text.. save it.. and bugger. nothing.... I've tried files in the root folder, 1 level down, 3 levels.. nothing seems to work..

I'd estimate it's only picked up about 30% of the enabled data.

Any suggestions would be awesome! :)

Dave.

Love the show guys, I've only been using WHS for 6 months and am at a loss as to how I survived without it.

I use Time Traveler V1.51 and so far it only picking up a handful of my folders. I have opened a file in a folder 2 levels from root, changed text in it, saved it and still no rollback created. I open the same file again.. add some text.. save it.. and bugger. nothing.... I've tried files in the root folder, 1 level down, 3 levels.. nothing seems to work..

I'd estimate it's only picked up about 30% of the enabled data.

Any suggestions would be awesome! :)

Dave.

These files are in shared folders that are being watched by the app. right ?

Check with Jim at support@timetravelerwhs.com he has all the answers.

Under the more option, have you tried verify database and/or reset all settings and database? Also, what is your create rollbacks setting on. If it isn't "on file change" and the time is short, you wouldn't see it immediately. Make your changes, then select create rollback now. If this works, then it is fine and you need to adjust your create rollback setting.

I bought Time Traveler in May but haven't yet gotten around to installing it (too much going on right now).

Since this thread is here...

How does TT handle files that get deleted? Does this nuke the file or does TT treat the deletion as a rollback point? At what point does it delete the deletion and recapture the space?

Keith

I bought Time Traveler in May but haven't yet gotten around to installing it (too much going on right now).

Since this thread is here...

How does TT handle files that get deleted? Does this nuke the file or does TT treat the deletion as a rollback point? At what point does it delete the deletion and recapture the space?

Keith

It never deletes the file, it just stops creating new rollback points. This way you always have it if needed. I don't believe it will ever delete the rollbacks. To get rid of it, you would have to reset the TimeTraveler program/database.