RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Limitations on restoring client?

joem

I just read the following at Technet. Has anyone tested this?

http://social.techne...6e-14e764541cf1

Windows Server 2012 Essentials does not support the following restore scenarios:

• Restoring a Master Boot Record (MBR) disk to a Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI)–based computer.
  • Restoring a UEFI/GPT backup to a BIOS system.

If you restore data in either of these scenarios, you will not be able to boot the system. In addition, you might not be able to use hard drives that are larger than two terabytes in size.

Not sure if anyone's actually tested this, but I believe we were expecting it. UEFI+GPT is the scenario going forward, as I understand it. We already know WHS2011 cannot restore to a GPT disk.

Yeah, well, some UEFI systems don't support booting from MBR, from what I understand. And *no* BIOS supports booting from GPT. :)

@jmwills, for now. For now. :)

Well, who in their right mind would dedicate a GPT disk for the OS?

In the future we won't have a choice; the mobos won't boot from a disk if it isn't GPT.

Who wouldn'1?!? Secure boot with WIndows 8. Those with UEFI systems (and like ikon says, especially after they drop MBR boot support), those that want sub-5 second boot times? Those that want more than 4 partitions without having to mess with "logical" partitions. Shall I go on? :)

Oh, did I mention that Microsoft *requires* GPT partition for the boot disk to get Logo certified?

So....I guess Windows Server 2012 Essentials is not going to work with modern hardware. Really? What is that all about anyway? Why would they code a server OS that is obsolete? I also guess I won't be able to use this.