RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Video

joem

I have had a hit and miss experience with WS2012E allowing me to play video files. Is there a list of what formats it will play someplace? I sure would appreciate a link or some information on this. Thanks.

Are you playing directly from the server, or streaming to a device?

If you're streaming, the device that is pulling the content from the server would be responsible for the codecs, unless you are using a transcoding application on the server itself to stream. If you are playing directly, you may be able to gain additional video support by installing a codec pack such as the KLite Codec Pack.

I see. Thank you. I was trying to stream using a Sony Bluray player BDP S590, which is DLNS compliant and the server shows up and I can browse video, picture and audio files. I copied video files to the server Video folder. Media Sharing is enabled on the server. When I have several files of the same type it just reads one of them to play. The others don't show up. Here is the file type for example: hdtv.x264-momentum.mkv

It must be with the way the player browses over a network because when I plug in a USB hard disk to the Bluray player it sees them and plays them just fine.

I really don't need a HTPC anymore because of the feature on the Bluray player. My new 60 inch LG Plasma also has a USB port I can plug in USB drives with movies loaded and does great! I wanted to test the media sharing feature on the server and see how it interacted with Bluray player. I can foresee possibly other advantages that I dont' know about currently by nesting the video files on the server rather than having a hard drive plugged into the TV or Bluray player.

Your issue will be if the Player can see the Server folders. The limitation will most likely be the inability to see NTFS files. The USB stick is probably FAT32.

@joem, thanks for clarifying what you're doing; I was a bit confused.

My confusion came about because I don't call what you're doing 'streaming'. For me, streaming entails the server sending video/audio encapsulated in Ethernet packets. Another way I think of it is that the server is 'pushing' video/audio to the client. The main thing is that the server has to be using some software specifically designed to send video/audio over Ethernet.

I call what you're doing 'pulling' video/audio. The client browses the server to find files it thinks are video/audio and then asks the server to send it one. The server neither knows, nor cares, what is in the file. It doesn't use any special software to stream the file to the client, it just sends the file's contents as it would any data file.

I suspect the issue between your Blu-Ray player and the server is that they don't 100% agree on how to enumerate and list files. It could be that your player is looking for specific info in the headers of the files and the server isn't giving it the information at all, or not in a format the player understands. One piece of evidence for this is that Windows clients don't seem to have this issue. Not too surprisingly, Windows understands Windows :)