RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
FirstStopCentral

Highpoint 2680 - Cant see arrays in Server2008R2

FirstStopCentral

Hi,

I've had a Server 2008 R2 setup with WHS2011 as a VM running for 8 months or more. There's two RAID arrays (1 and 5) controlled by the Highpoint RR 2680 card and all has been fine. These two arrays have been passed through to the WHS2011 VM.

Installed a number of updates the other night through Windows Update on the Server 2008R2 OS and when the system restarted, I noticed that the WHS2011 VM had an error starting back up (other VMs not associated with the RAID card were ok).

I can get into the 2680 BIOS at startup and everything reports ok, but I can't see or access my arrays in Server 2008R2 disk management or the VM.

I've installed the Vista/2008 x64 driver for the 2680 card and the Webgui pack but to no avail.

Is this just a coincidence and my card has packed it in, or maybe a windows update has broken something (although I would have expected someone else to have this problem also).

Any help appreciated.

Paul

jmwills

Check the settings for the virtual machine and make sure those drives are still being passed through. Does the array show on the host if you remove it from the virtual machine?

FirstStopCentral

Thanks for the quick response.

I can't see the arrays in the Server2008R2 Disk Management console (they should at least show up as offline?) and there's no access to them in the settings of the WHS2011 VM.

Paul

jmwills

The array should show as offline on the host so that part is correct. Just make sure the corresponding drive letters for the array are being passed thru. Hard to think a drive letter may have changed but I've seen stranger things.

ikon

The array should show as offline on the host so that part is correct. Just make sure the corresponding drive letters for the array are being passed thru. Hard to think a drive letter may have changed but I've seen stranger things.

I believe he is saying that the arrays are not showing up at all, not even as OffLine.

jmwills

Well, that's two things I've read wrong today, and to think I made it to Dec 21 without making a mistake!! ;)

If this is the case, is the array showing in the BIOS? If not, I would unseat and reseat the card or move it to another slot.

FirstStopCentral

Card shows fine in the BIOS, I can hit <ctrl> H and enter BIOS utility and disks and arrays are all reported as ok.

Paul

daveyboy37

Oh dear... another data loss for high end raid???..Seriously though I really hope u managed to get your data back!!

ikon

Oh dear... another data loss for high end raid???..Seriously though I really hope u managed to get your data back!!

Well, I wouldn't class RocketRaid cards as 'high end' RAID exactly; more like 'mid-range'. That said, I'm with you on the wishing best of luck getting the data back... never like to hear of people losing data.