RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

SSD advice, migrating EX490 to WHS2011

Christian

Hi all,

I bought an EX490 for my parents some time ago. The system drive has been acting up and is reporting bad sectors so I plan to make some changes.

I would like to install WHS2011 on the box and replace the system drive with a SSD drive. Do you guys have any recommendations for SSD drive size, brand, model?

My parents do not have tons and tons of data. They use it primarily for PC backup of two PCs and they have a modest music, audiobook and photo collection. I plan to use their 2 remaining 1tb drives as data drives.

All suggestions are warmly welcome

- Chr

Hi Christian.

Personally, I'm not convinced an SSD is worth all that much as a WHS system drive. It doesn't get used that much once the system is up & running. But, if you really want one, I would stick with brand names like Intel, OCZ, Kingston, Corsair.

• Like 1

thanks for the reply ikon,

What is the minimum size? can I get bye with a 60Gb or should I take a 80gb drive? It's true that the price is high compare to normal disk. I can get a 80gb ssd for approx same price as a 1tb standard drive. But fo the OS drive they really do not need that much space. I was thinking that maybe the ssd is less prone to errors like the bad sector issues they have with the current OS drive.

- Chr

You can get by with 60GB, but it requires some 'tricks' to do it. Check out this blog post. It deals with installing WHS2011 on a 60GB SSD in an N40L but I think a lot of it would apply to you.

• Like 1

Personally I would stick with a conventional HDD for the system drive. It fits the drive tray with no adapter and you can just pop it in. Is going to an SSD (and using an adapter bracket) going to buy you anything?

• Like 1

Or use the Joe Miner adapter......blue duct tape! I think that WSE2012's requirement was reduced to to 120 from 160 gig and with prices being what they are, a 120 gig SSD should only run you about $60.

Hi Ikon: thanks for the link.

CSkenney: you are probably right, no point in adding a ssd.

Any recommendations for a good system drive? or does it really not matter.

Unlike the Microserver, the MediaSmart server is headless and you will definitely have to jump through some hoops. It's possible but takes some knowledge. As Cris mentioned you will have to align the 2.5" drive with a bracket or drill a few holes into the plastic drive tray to secure the drive.

I would suggest a WD RED 2TB drive.

Start the install on a PC then move the drive to the server.