RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS v1 and Win 8

Jakuli

Hi guys!

I'm about to upgrade to Windows 8 from Win 7. Is there something to consider beforehand concerning WHS v1? I guess the connector software found on the server works as well in Win 8? I'm using my HP X510 mainly as a backup device with occasional streaming to the tv.

Testing is your best friend! But seriously, you should not have any issues since both Win7 & 8 are on the same code base.

I have the V1 connector installed on my Win8 Tablet and I haven't had any problems. Backed up with out any error and I have used the WHS console. Can't say anything about the Media Center features.

Bill

• 5 months later...

I to have WHS 1 connector installed on my Windows 8 machine. I thought things were working until I tried to open a backup to look for a file I needed to restore. Every time  the backup gets to  about 90% loaded my windows 8 pc reboots with out any types of pompts. Does any one have any solutions. If you can't look at your backups to restore individual files what good is it? Thanks.

It's a good question. You would have to verify that it works for you, given that you can't get at individual files, but for me the primary (actually, the only) reason for WHS backup is for Bare Metal Restore.

I don't back up any of my data using WHS backup. I do that with Task Scheduler and RoboCopy.

Installing and configuring a computer from scratch takes a long time and some things always seem to get missed (at least I always seem to miss some). Having the ability to restore the entire OS drive, with programs installed, is well worth it for me.

Have you verified that a full restore works for Windows 8? Also have you tried to open a backup to view the files? I do agree if it will do a complete restore there is value to it and backing up necessary individual files that you may need to recover can be accomplished other ways. Thanks.

I have not tried a BMR of Win8 yet. However, in just the past few days I did upgrade my main desktop unit to Win8, so I should be able to do that pretty soon. I will post back the results for you.

On another note, I've noticed that my main desktop computer has been more stable since going from Win7 to 8. It's a little early to be completely confident in this but, so far, Win8 does a much better job of not locking up the machine when trying to exit from Sleep Mode. Stay tuned...

EDIT: I have installed the Connector and my Win8 desktop is 30% done backing up to my WHS2011 (sorry, I don't have a WHSv1 anymore), but I still think it's a worthwhile exercise, at least for me, so that I can be sure I can do a BMR of my Win8 desktop :)

Something that I haven't tested because I don't have the hardware, but from what I read, you can backup a GPT system drive. Most new PC's and Windows 8 Surface tablets. You can restore individual files but a full PC recovery will fail because the whsv1 OS does not support a GPT system drive. WHS2011 with the latest Update Rollups does.

As for Windows 8, if your using the new Microsoft ID to log into your PC, then you have to set Credential Manager to include your WHS User name and Password so that WHSv1 identifies your Windows 8 account as the same as the WHS account.