RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Group policy configuration Did Not Succeed

Stealth

I’m continuing with setting up my home network migration. I decided to have a go at setting up Folder Redirection with the Group Policy Wizard. Unfortunately every time I run the wizard it falls over with the following error.

Group policy configuration. Did Not Succeed.

Group policy configuration encountered an error. Restart wizard and try again.

.Folder redirection

.Security settings that impact the following:

Windows Update

Windows Defender

Network Firewall

Any ideas?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmwills

• ikon

• Stealth

Which folder are you trying to redirect? Do you have a Shared Folder Location for the folders to be redirected to?

What are you trying to pass down on Defender?

Now, none of this is not going to work unless the users are Domain users with Domain joined computers.

Which folder are you trying to redirect? Do you have a Shared Folder Location for the folders to be redirected to?

What are you trying to pass down on Defender?

Now, none of this is not going to work unless the users are Domain users with Domain joined computers.

To be honest I’m not completely sure how to set up Group Policy and Folder Redirection. I thought I would just have a stab at the wizard and Google it for help, but I can’t find much.

This is what I and doing-

I am trying to achieve Folder Redirection of one folder for now.

I have set up a new shared folder on my server called “Favourites”. My client Windows 7 box is logged on to the server domain

1. I run the Implement Group Policy wizard on the server
  2. I deselect all folders apart from the “Favourites” one
  3. Click next
  4. I deselected Windows Update, Windows Defender & Network Firewall
  5. Then clicked Finish

Then I get the error!

If sure I have probably missed something silly……

Steve

Are the machines, "domain members"? Group Policy is configured from the server and applied to the OU where the client computers reside. No action is needed from the client side except to run a gpupdate /force form a command prompt.

Again, without Domain membership, you are wasting your time unless you want to manage local group policy on each and every machine which is a little mayan.

Are the machines, "domain members"? Group Policy is configured from the server and applied to the OU where the client computers reside. No action is needed from the client side except to run a gpupdate /force form a command prompt.

Again, without Domain membership, you are wasting your time unless you want to manage local group policy on each and every machine which is a little mayan.

Yes.... when I check it shows the computers are mydomanname.local

Where are you configuring this from, the server? There are a ton of articles about how to do this.

Basically there are three steps to this process:

1. Create the policy
  2. Link the policy
  3. Enable the policy

Where are you configuring this from, the server? There are a ton of articles about how to do this.

Yes on the server... I will search for some more guides then.

Thanks

I'm in a right mess.... I found this guide below-

Updated: October 4, 2012

Applies To: Windows Server 2012 Essentials

You can perform this task if folder redirection is enabled on the Source Server.

First, use the Windows Server 2012 Essentials Dashboard to enable folder redirection on the Destination Server. Then, delete the old Folder Redirection Group Policy setting.

To enable folder redirection on the Destination Server

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the Destination Server, open the Windows Server 2012 Essentials Dashboard.

In the navigation bar, click DEVICES.

In the Devices Tasks pane, click Implement Group Policy.

On the Enable Folder Redirection Group Policy page, select the folders to be redirected, and then click Next.

On the Enable Security Policy Settings page, click Finish.

To delete the old Folder Redirection Group Policy setting

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the Destination Server, open the Group Policy Management administrative tool.

In Group Policy Management, expand Forest:YourNetworkDomainName, expand Domains, expand YourNetworkDomainName, and then expand Group Policy Objects.

Right-click Small Business Server Folder Redirection, and then click Delete.

Read the warning, and then click Yes.

Close Group Policy Management.

To apply the change to folder redirection, network users must log off their computer, and then log back on. This ensures the transfer of all redirected folders to the Destination Server.

This sort of worked but if I put a file on a desktop on one PC it wasn't showing on all the PC's only some!

I decided to delete the Group Policy from the server and then tried to delete the File Redirection Folder it created. I wanted to delete the redirection folder because I had the default one which came with Server 2012 Essentials in the route of the ServerFolders share.

Unfortunately I can't delete the folder even though I’m the owner! My Desktops also look like they are still linked by a sync icon.

I really can't understand why the wizard wasn't working and maybe that is pointing to the route of my problems. Could it be a permissions issue?

How can I revert back without fresh reinstalls?

Help!