RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

MSS HP EX475 Decisions

TalbotBanyan

I'm actually re-posting this from an unanswered post I made on some other forums. You folks look to be a bit more active crowd so I figure I'd try here - hopefully the repost does not offend!

Hello all. I'm a HP EX475 owner and new to this forum. I need to make a decision on what to do next with my box and I'm hoping to get a little input from you all before I make my decision.

To start with; about all I use my MSS for is to back up two home PCs, run a Teamspeaker Server, and remote desktop into my PCs from work. However, I'm normally quite a tinkerer and feel like I might like to get more out of it, - I just haven't quite gotten there yet.

The issue I've recently started having issues when logging into the server console both from on & off site. Off site I get a script error '_pendingCallbacks[...].async' is null or not an object (see photo at link below)
http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu316/cwlithgow/tech/remoteservererror.jpg
From onsite I get something similar, something like "string not correctly formated," unfortunately I don't have the exact error or a screenshot.

Once I finally am able to get into the console (it may take 2 or 3 tries) I went to see about an update or what version of things I'm running. Unfortunately my last update is labeled as xx/xx/xx.
http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu316/cwlithgow/tech/lastupdate.jpg
When I click "check for updates" I get the response "cannot connect to the HP servers at this time." (This has been true for several attempts over the course of a week.)
Beyond that on the resources tab I see that all version appear to be 6.0.2423.0
http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu316/cwlithgow/tech/serverspecs.jpg

So even though all the things I use the server for continue to function just fine I'm bothered by the errors I get when logging in - as I like things to run correctly. So I'm contemplating a Server Restore to the original software included with the EX475. However I see now that an upgrade to 3.0 is available for order. (I would be confortable with upgrading the memory first - not a problem - the processor is possible too I suppose - just not as comfortable with that thermal paste stuff. :)

I suppose I'm just looking for opinions:

-Should I just Server Restore to my originals discs - and them mess around with utilizing the WHS for more things.
-Does anyone thing just going straight to the 3.0 & memory upgrade will serv a wanna-be add-in user better?
-I suppose there is a 3rd possibilty - a solution to the log-in errors I've be recieving outside of a server-restore.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to hearing from anyone!

Hi,

Welcome to the forum. Your 1st error message looks like it's coming from Internet Explorer. Try reinstalling IE or do a repair through Remote Desktop connection.

If you do a Server Recovery using the original HP disks, it will take you a long time before you get all the updates up to Power Pack 3. If you get the HP V3 update disks, that will give you the new updated HP software plus a lot of Windows Updates including PP1 and PP3. If you mess thing up again, you will have to redo this all over again.

You should upgrade the memory to 2GB, there are instruction here http://www.youtube.com/windowshomeserver#p/f/6/rTPgjvar2Io

As for the CPU, if you can get a BE-2300 that would be a good choice, that's what I have in my EX47x, right now it runs faster that my EX49x untill I upgrade that to a dual-core. The best is the 3800+ LOW POWER ADD3800

I hadn't considered the complications of having to wait on service pack downloads and installs - that makes the decision of which upgrading to 3.0 rather than the original discs easy.

Thanks for that and the link and processor recommendations - Thanks diehard!

• 5 months later...

<p>I hadn't considered the complications of having to wait on service pack downloads and installs - that makes the decision of which upgrading to 3.0 rather than the original discs easy. </p><p>Thanks for that and the link and processor recommendations - Thanks diehard!</p>

Finally got around to doing the updates including the HP 3.0 software and the 2GB memory upgrade (I passed on the processor for now.) Looking forward to getting a bit more out of my server now that the console and RDC sessions are actually responsive.