RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
rightclix

What i hope to acheive with your help..

ikon

Hey rightclix. I'm with you on the DIY learning. To me there's no better way to learn.

Regarding backup, the question is simply, "How valuable is the data on the RAID array?".

What I normally suggest to people is to ask, "How upset would I be if I got up tomorrow and the data was gone?". If the answer is very or extemely then a good backup strategy is in order.

I only mentioned backup because you posted "mainy of large media files, movies, photos etc and one of the objectives is to keep all of it sufficiently backed up hence the raid". I was concerned that you might lose valuable data because you relied on RAID for backup.

To me, the most important item in the backup list is #3, OffSite backup. Find a way to ensure you always have a copy of your data at another location; at work, a friend's, your mother's, a safety deposit box, etc.

Here's a link to a thread with a photo of my server/backup setup: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4551-how-do-you-back-up-your-hp-microserver/page-3#entry48428

Here is my backup strategy:

• the 1st copy of my data is on my Win7 desktop;
  • the 2nd copy is on my server. The data gets copied every night by a Scheduled Task that runs RoboCopy commands to sync up the data on my Win7 desktop to the server. It is not backed up using WHS Client Backup. I want the data always immediately available;
  • the 3rd copy is my Nearline copy. It stored on a Lian-Li EX503 enclosure (see photo in link above) connected to a USB3 port on my server. This copy, too, is synched up to the server by a Scheduled Task that runs RoboCopy commands;
  • copies 4 & 5 are my Offsite ones. I have 2 sets of drives that are cycled through a 2nd Lian-Li EX-503 enclosure (see photo in link above) that is also connected to a USB3 port on my server. Again, the data is copied to the external enclosure by a Scheduled Task that runs RoboCopy commands. The drive sets are configured to show up in WHS as drives A: and B:. The drive sets are transported to/from the offsite location in Pelican cases.

#ikon #backup

rightclix

:)  Hi guys. I know it's been a while but i didnt really have much to update on as the server project took a bit of a back seat due to funds. Anywhoo i've since aquired 2x WD Red drives as recommended. I've installed them in to the caddy's and the bios reads them perfectly.

Question. How do i access the HDD's as i've got ESXi running which obviously boots up first. i know i can remove the bootable usb and then boot to Server 2008 but will this pose a problem later with the N40L acting as the host?

Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Thanks

itGeeks

Hey rightclix. I'm with you on the DIY learning. To me there's no better way to learn.

Regarding backup, the question is simply, "How valuable is the data on the RAID array?".

What I normally suggest to people is to ask, "How upset would I be if I got up tomorrow and the data was gone?". If the answer is very or extemely then a good backup strategy is in order.

I only mentioned backup because you posted "mainy of large media files, movies, photos etc and one of the objectives is to keep all of it sufficiently backed up hence the raid". I was concerned that you might lose valuable data because you relied on RAID for backup.

To me, the most important item in the backup list is #3, OffSite backup. Find a way to ensure you always have a copy of your data at another location; at work, a friend's, your mother's, a safety deposit box, etc.

Here's a link to a thread with a photo of my server/backup setup: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4551-how-do-you-back-up-your-hp-microserver/page-3#entry48428

Here is my backup strategy:

• the 1st copy of my data is on my Win7 desktop;
  • the 2nd copy is on my server. The data gets copied every night by a Scheduled Task that runs RoboCopy commands to sync up the data on my Win7 desktop to the server. It is not backed up using WHS Client Backup. I want the data always immediately available;
  • the 3rd copy is my Nearline copy. It stored on a Lian-Li EX503 enclosure (see photo in link above) connected to a USB3 port on my server. This copy, too, is synched up to the server by a Scheduled Task that runs RoboCopy commands;
  • copies 4 & 5 are my Offsite ones. I have 2 sets of drives that are cycled through a 2nd Lian-Li EX-503 enclosure (see photo in link above) that is also connected to a USB3 port on my server. Again, the data is copied to the external enclosure by a Scheduled Task that runs RoboCopy commands. The drive sets are configured to show up in WHS as drives A: and B:. The drive sets are transported to/from the offsite location in Pelican cases.

#ikon #backup

ikon, Nice article on backup. Could you please tell me the model number of the Pelican Cases you are using? I just posted a question on the forums about what people are doing for backup of there WSE 2012 and I happen to find your thread.

Edited by Mr Fixit

jmwills

Not a bad deal at $51....

ikon

They work well for me. I got 1 red and 1 black so I can tell the backup sets apart.

itGeeks

I'm using Pelican 1300 cases: http://www.pelicancases.com/1300-p/1300.htm

Thanks for the info. How is your server setup for storage? What I mean is do you use any RAID and if yes how many RAIDs do you have setup and what type of RAID?? When I started this million dollar journey in my setup I had 3 RAID array setup as follows, I had a 2x 256GB SSD's setup in a RAID 1 for the OS and 2x 2TB setup in a RAID 1 for important data like pictures, Documents, Ect. The I a 5x 2TB setup in a RAID 5 for Movies, Ect. But now I just have 2 RAIDs setup, The 2x 256GB SSD's in a RAID 1 and 1 Raid 5 for all data but I am thinking I should go back to my original setup of 3 RAID array, What do you think?

Thank in advance

ikon

My main drive pool is 4x2TB WD RE4 drives in a RAID5 on a 3ware 9650se 4LPML. The WD RE4 drives as Enterprise Class. The RAID card isn't top end, but it's higher up than, say, a HighPoint 2720 (which also means it's higher priced).

The rest of the storage, basically backup, is as described above.