RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
rightclix

What i hope to acheive with your help..

rightclix

Hi guys

My experience with the N40L wasn't great to begin with. Please see thread below

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4643-n40l-not-recognising-build-in-hdd-help/page__p__49160#entry49160

However with a bit of jiggery pokery and help i managed to get it working and it is now running smoothly.

I bought this server with a view to learn, develop and sort out my storage problem at home.

I will outline what i hope to acheive and hopefully your kind selves can advise accordingly on what to get, configure etc.

I have installed esxi 5.0 via usb so far on the server with the vsphere client installed on a remote machine. I am hoping to configure some vm's to familiarise myself with vmware, primarily consisting of a couple of xp machines and server 2003.

I also want to sort out my storage problem. Currently my data is all over the place. I have 3 x desktop and 1 x laptop.

My stoarge comprises of :

1x TB external seagate

1x 250gb external seagate

1x 160gb Win 7 Desktop

1x 500gb Win 7 Desktop

1x 250gb HP N40L

I want to host a clean install of win 7 on my desktops and keep all media on a raid setup on the server with the ability to access this media and remote access from each machine.

I will be purchasing a ssd to install on my win 7 desktop to bring it up to speed.

So my questions are:

1, what ssd should i get to host win 7 and improve my desktop (this will also host v sphere)

2, what hdd should i get to configure the raid on the N40L

3, what backup solution do you advise

Many thanks

jmwills

So my questions are:

1, what ssd should i get to host win 7 and improve my desktop (this will also host v sphere)

2, what hdd should i get to configure the raid on the N40L

3, what backup solution do you advise

Many thanks

Questions I have. You're going to run "VSphere" on the laptop? You mean ESXi, right? Why would you do this?

If you are going with a fresh install on the N40L, the WD Reds are proving to be a popular/reliable choice.

Backup Solution? What OS do you intend to run/ WHS2011 will do all you want for a price of $35 from NewEgg right now.

rightclix

Apolgies for the confusion. I am a newb to all of this.

So far i have installed esxi on the server via usb and manage this via the client remotely on my Win7 desktop (am i saying this right?)

My understanding was you install esxi on the host (N40L) and manage it via vSphere (Win 7 dekstop)

Whats WD Reds?

I could go with WHS2011 but i have a copy of server 2008. Is this overkill?

thanks

jmwills

WD Reds http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822236343 These drives were designed for this type of application and are relatively new (6 months or so)

Server 2008 will be fine but it will not backup the clients, only the server. You will need some sort of third party tool to get the clients.

Do you intend on running any other platforms on the server other than Server 2008 or WHS?

ikon

For an SSD for your Win7 I recommend you get at least 240GB. I have a 120GB SSD in my Win7 desktop and I can't install all the programs I want onto it - I have to install most programs onto my D: HDD, which slows down loading them. I now have a 240GB Intel SSD that I'm going to install soon.

I also recommend you get a name brand SSD: Intel and OCZ come to mind as top brands. I believe people have also had good luck with some Corsair and Mushkin SSDs.

I agree with using WD Red drives for the server. You might want to get a faster drive for the Win7 desktop. I would still recommend WD drives, but Blue, Black, or RE.

jmwills

Depending on what programs you are running, I have installed Win7 with a 60 gig and also had Office installed. Now, all of my documents are on the server but that's not really all that much,.

rightclix

Thanks for the replies so far guys. Im starting to build up a pictue in my head now.

Wills i'm not too fussed if the clients dont get backed up. I'm only intending to install Win7 on them although ikon does raise a vaild point in going for the larger ssd.

What 3rd party tool is there if i did want to back up the clients? My homesetup consists mainy of large media files, movies, photos etc and one of the objectives is to keep all of it sufficiently backed up hence the raid.

So if i;ve got this right i belive it is recommended to:

run esxi off a usb stick

manage esxi using vsphere client on a win 7 desktop

migrate all my existing data on to WD red drives or equivalent

Install WHS2011 OR Server 2008 on the N40L

Thanks

jmwills

Use WHS2011 to backup the clients and eliminate the need for a third party solution. The cost would probably be less than buying something like Acronis and having to ru nit form each client.

ikon

Just a point of clarification rightclix: RAID is not a form of backup... of any kind. It is a form of resiliency. It's purpose is to reduce downtime by helping keep a system up and running longer. Backup provides a means of recovering a system, or data, in the event of corruption, hardware failure, theft, vandalism, natural disaster, fire, or other calamities. One of the most important components of Backup is the concept of having at least one copy of the data in a location other than where the computers are located; otherwise known as Offsite Backup. RAID cannot provide this feature.

The Golden Rule for backup is:

1. at least 3 copies of all data
  2. on at least 2 different forms of media
  3. with at least 1 copy off site

I have stated this before in these forums, but I actually don't adhere to Rule 2. I feel it's primarily for Long Term storage, where the technology to read the backup may no longer exist. However, I always have 4 - 5 copies of all my data and haven't lost any in decades.

rightclix

ikon

thank you for the clarification. However i would like to point out i am only doing this from a learning point of view. While i come from an IT bacground i am not at a senior level so often miss out on the good stuff due to office politics etc so best way to learn 'do it yorself'

If i am going by your golden rule then what would you suggest bear in mind i still want to do RAID for development purposes.

thanks